It's not a Kawi, but at least it's green...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Default It's not a Kawi, but at least it's green...

Hey guys...I recently picked up a little project bike to work on this summer. I plan on restoring the bike and giving it to my daughter to play with. It's a 1973 Honda ST90...most of the parts are there and it ran when it was parked some years ago. Not seized, but needs a fair amount of elbow grease and TLC. Even found the original tool kit still in the container behind the seat! But before i get started on this, I was wondering who may have any information on these bikes...any at all would be helpful. I pulled the plug and will be picking up a new one today, but would also like to pick up some fresh oil...but I don't know what type of oil is used in the bike....so if anyone has any helpful information, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Jason[ATTACH]It's not a Kawi, but at least it's green...-img_3295.jpg[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails It's not a Kawi, but at least it's green...-img_3294.jpg  
Old 05-26-2010, 12:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Check out Fast50s.com. The 4 stroke engine in the bike is very much the same as the new breed of pit bikes. The are so many hop ups available. You'll have fun customising it. Oil, the same as your KLX is good.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Nice find, cool project. Keep us up to date with the progress.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm relatively new to the motorcycle scene and I'm not into "old bikes" but that is one cool looking bike! Please keep posting the pics!

Old 05-26-2010, 04:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Bring out the brush grinder. Its due for an overhaul.

Cool project. I wouldn't mind having something like that to tear apart and overhaul on.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

i would have definally of gotten it. would love a little 50/80 to cruise around town.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

My brother had one of them back in the day. As did a friend. I had a CT70 myself which was very similar. If I remember correctly the ST90 was a 3 speed with an automatic clutch. As long as the tranny is good and you don't hear any serious knocking indicating crankshaft problems, usually just cleaning the combustion chamber, lapping the valves, cleaning/gapping points, and carb and you should be good to go.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Default I cleaned one pf those up last summer...

It was my wife's when she was a kid. I bought the Haynes manual and it helped. Also needed new fuel tank, new air filter, new 6V battery, new float valve, new throttle cable and a couple bulbs. New muffler was almost $500 so I left the old one on. Changed the oil, cleaned out the carb, new plug, cleaned the contact points and general clean up all over. Now runs fine. All electrical works except the neutral light indicator.

She was pleased to hear it run after 36 years of storage. I tried to get her to pose for HOTD with it but she wouldn't go for it.

Attached Thumbnails It's not a Kawi, but at least it's green...-dsc06799.jpg   It's not a Kawi, but at least it's green...-dsc06800.jpg  
Old 05-28-2010, 12:57 AM

Try, www.dratv.com Good parts and great prices!

Old 05-28-2010, 07:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Here are some mod' ideas. It's a Honda DAX, very similar to the ST.

Quick Reply: It's not a Kawi, but at least it's green...