Its nearly time

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Its nearly time

Ok, so my warranty is approaching it's use by date (and boy have I been glad of it's existance...)

With the economic recession and all, I've decided I'll mod the bike instead of replacing it (yes... was considering getting a klr or vstrom for about 3 seconds. then realised I'm still poor.)

So. With that in mind, and with a bit of time spent on the search function, I've become more and more confused. Just need a bit of clarification and some advice for these points:

1: Rejetting
What size needle is the most agreed upon that will get me better performance? Note: I'm usually near sea-level, with an occasional dip into higher altitudes.

2: Exhaust
To save on importing costs, there's a New Zealand company that do aftermarket exhausts called Cycleworks (clicky). Would this be a good avenue? Or would I be best to just bite the bullet and get it in from overseas?

3: Anything else?

Old 03-19-2009, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Jut looked at their site. That full system on the 300R photo looks sweet.
With my math, NZ$ 600 is a fair price for a "complete performance system" for the KLX300. (it will fit the 250 as well as it's a full system. Your looking at about NZ$ 700 to import a Two Brothers slip on. I'd take the local option.

The one box jetting solution would be the Dynojet kit for the KLX 300R. (better needle taper IMHO than the kit for the KLX250S)

The cheaper option is some OE Kehein jets and a collar to raise the stock needle, all available from the local Kwaka dealer. PM me if you want the part numbers. Should cost less than NZ$ 40 all up. The DynoJet kit may run you to about NZ$140.

All costs based on current NZ to USA exchange rate.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Cheers! Will go for the NZ option then.

While I want to do mods on the cheap, I also want to do them right, especially when it comes to slightly technical stuff. So I'll go for the Dynojet, should be a bit easier to install as well, with my limited knowledge of bike mechanics...

Best place to get it is straight off the website?

Old 03-19-2009, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member

oh, and the klx 300 kit, thats the 97-07 version?

Old 03-19-2009, 12:51 AM
1st Gear Member

yes, the 97-07 version. The same carb is used on the 09's.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Yup! Kit 2206. Search the web, you may find it a bit cheaper but the DJ website is all good.

May want to think about an FS3 fuel screw from Kouba Link while you're at it. Makes things easier when adjusting the mixture. See here. http://koubalink.com/fuelscrew.html Use the online order form at the bottom of the page.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

holy crap. Dyno Jet kit from local supplier: $108. brilliant. will purchase tommorow (pay day!!!)

Old 03-19-2009, 03:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 3L4NS1R
holy crap. Dyno Jet kit from local supplier: $108. brilliant. will purchase tommorow (pay day!!!)
Damn thats a good price Sam!

Funny but have been thinking similar to yourself! As much as I'd like a 650 now, if the KLX doesn't sell I reckon I'll be headed the mod route myself: custom tank, custom seat, Bill Blue 351 kit etc etc. I DO love the KLX and certainly would be sad to see it go BUT these all-weekend long adv rides with long highway stretches(like the upcoming King Country Ride end of April) are gonna do my head in if I keep doing them on the stock KLX, it's just not cut out for it!!!! Very frustrating as days like last Sunday up on the Param Track in the Akatarawa Forest I was really glad I was on the KLX - it was wicked fun, so manouvreable! Wish I could afford to own 2 bikes - grrrrrrrrr!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Paladin
Damn thats a good price Sam!

Funny but have been thinking similar to yourself! As much as I'd like a 650 now, if the KLX doesn't sell I reckon I'll be headed the mod route myself: custom tank, custom seat, Bill Blue 351 kit etc etc. I DO love the KLX and certainly would be sad to see it go BUT these all-weekend long adv rides with long highway stretches(like the upcoming King Country Ride end of April) are gonna do my head in if I keep doing them on the stock KLX, it's just not cut out for it!!!! Very frustrating as days like last Sunday up on the Param Track in the Akatarawa Forest I was really glad I was on the KLX - it was wicked fun, so manouvreable! Wish I could afford to own 2 bikes - grrrrrrrrr!
Let me know if you want a fuel screw! Can't seem to find anyone who stocks them in NZ, and there's a minimum $25 purchase at the US retailer (fuel screws are about $15 from what I can remember)

Will let you know how I get on, am picking up the DJ kit tommorow from Amps/powersport.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 3L4NS1R
Let me know if you want a fuel screw! Can't seem to find anyone who stocks them in NZ, and there's a minimum $25 purchase at the US retailer (fuel screws are about $15 from what I can remember)

Will let you know how I get on, am picking up the DJ kit tommorow from Amps/powersport.
Hey Sam, won't be needin the fuel screw!

Traded the KLX in for a '09 DR650SE today! All black plastics - the Black Beast as I'm calling her - and a nice Cycleworks pipe & Fat Alloy bars!

Hey I know I'm a traitor but the power was callin me! DOES feel REAL nice on the motorway!

I shall miss my KLX for sure and remember it fondly as my first offroad bike - shame I couldn't afford to own two bikes but there ya go, the DR suits more what I need these days!

Quick Reply: Its nearly time