Introduction...KLX351 underway...and..supermoto?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Introduction...KLX351 underway...and..supermoto?

Hello - new here.

Bought an '09 KLX250s with 3.3k miles this past Christmas. Been modding and tuning a bit....and today my Bill Blue kit arrived! So i'll soon be tearing it down for a big bore + mikuni combo.

I have the dual sport 'S' model, but part of my plan is to move it somewhat in a street/supermoto direction once the engine mods are done. Questions:

1) Has anybody had ProCycle do their hubs/rims? Is it worth the extra big bucks to buy a new set of hubs and have both on and off road tires vs sacrificing my current hubs to street only? Can you do light trail riding on SM wheels?

2) I know that SM wheels will lower the bike, but will it remain level without further mods? IOW, since the stock front tire is 21" and back is 18", will the bike be pitched front to back with 17" tires on front and back?

3) How critical is the 300mm+ brake rotor? Will the stock smaller rotor suffice for now, or should i go ahead and do that too (i'm not a hooligan or racetrack rider..)?

4) Anyone know where i can get the shorter kickstand from the SF model? I haven't been able to find it in the OEM parts listings on the online stores that sell OEM parts - like babbit or motosport dot com

5) Anything else I need to do as part of the conversion? I'm not wanting to get into suspension mods just yet...

Thanks!

Old 04-24-2017, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I can't answer all your questions, just a couple observations about my KLX.

1) I haven't done any off-road with my SF yet, but it's done well "soft roading" with the Shinko 50/50 tires.

3) I'm not familiar with how well the smaller front rotor works, but I've been really happy with the stock SF front brake setup.

4) Not sure where you're located, but I've been searching for the longer regular KLX kickstand for my bike. Maybe we can trade?

5) Different gearing to match your application? I run 15/39 to lower RPM on the street, and with a BB I'd probably try a 16T front. Maybe some ergonomic upgrades? Taller bars/bar risers, larger foot pegs, etc?

Again, welcome! Let us know your opinion on the BB kit.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:36 AM
1st Gear Member

3) Smaller rotor is fine, especially with a quality braided line.

5) Not necessarily "needed" but you will appreciate a IMS 3 gallon fuel tank with the 351cc. More miles between stops is always good becauase you won't want to stop riding the little torque monster.
FMF Q4 and megabomb compliments the package.

As stated by snowdrifter, ergonomic upgrades. Larger footpegs are a night and day upgrade. Especially off road.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Ah thanks guys!

I do have the IMS tank and a Q4 slip on already (stock header for now). I have also purchased a new CS sprocket to be installed with the BB351.

On the subject of the IMS tank - the vent hose they sent to run off the gas cap seems too small - i couldn't get it on. is it just supposed to be forced on, or did i get a too small piece?

What footpegs do you guys recommend? What about handguards? I have renthal bars..

@snowdrifter - i would be willing to swap with you. Let me get the 351 up and running and stable, then once i get ready to order my wheels we can do it. By mail? I'm in the deep southland..

Old 04-25-2017, 05:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Good quality brake fluid with a high boiling point and a stainless steel brake line will do more for you than a larger rotor. I like Motul RBF600 brake fluid.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Recommend a good brake line and source for it?

Old 04-25-2017, 05:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Depending on where you live you can bring your stock front line into any place that makes hydraulic hoses and they will be able to duplicate your front line in braided stainless. If you don't have a local source you can get one from Bill Blue. He sells them.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member

also - have any of you tried the healtech gear indicator? (the one that works off of speed/rpm to calculate)

Thoughts? any issues wiring or mounting it? I have a SpeedoDRD (not healtech) installed - will they play nice with each other?

Old 04-25-2017, 08:49 PM
1st Gear Member

As for pegs, i went IMS superstock i think. Hand guards i liked the Barkbusters. Anything with an alloy bar offers more impact protection.
Others may be able to confirm, stock header may glow with a 351cc

Old 04-25-2017, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Stock header can glow with the stock motor. Let the bike sit idling with no air movement and that sucker, stock or aftermarket, will get hot enough to glow. No harm, no foul.

I ordered IMS superstock pegs off ebay and got IMS pro. Both are nice products but the pros could rip up a leg as the points are sharp.

First hand guards were tusk, then found used barkbusters here from another member and I like them. Yes, get some with bars not just plastic.

Quick Reply: Introduction...KLX351 underway...and..supermoto?