Interesting helmet safety article

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 04:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Interesting helmet safety article

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

I look at it like I do a seatbelt, some are better then others just so long as you wear em.
I'm sure (and it was stated in the article) that helmets perform differently in various types of accidents and since you can't predetermine what type of crash you're going to be involved in you may as well buy the helmet that suits your needs best, we all have our own likes and dislikes.

What flip-flops hold up the best in a wreck?
I was told the golden rule for helmets is to buy the one that fits you the very best. Helmet A might have done better in certain crash tests than helmet B, but if helmet A doesnt fit you properly then those tests aren't going to help you much.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member

thats another beef i have with the "how muhc is your head worth" attitude. it makes some people think "well if i can't get a 500$ helmet then why get one at all" or "well i spent 400$ on this helmet so now i can't afford riding boots and a good armored jacket.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stellar_d

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

I look at it like I do a seatbelt, some are better then others just so long as you wear em.
I'm sure (and it was stated in the article) that helmets perform differently in various types of accidents and since you can't predetermine what type of crash you're going to be involved in you may as well buy the helmet that suits your needs best, we all have our own likes and dislikes.

What flip-flops hold up the best in a wreck?
I was told the golden rule for helmets is to buy the one that fits you the very best. Helmet A might have done better in certain crash tests than helmet B, but if helmet A doesnt fit you properly then those tests aren't going to help you much.
lol yeah. the way snell standards are right now the helmet should be able to stand up to a far worse wreck than your brain could handle without turning you into a vegetable. sure the helmet will keep your skul from getting crushed but if its too hard it wouldn't cushing your brain inside.

THAT is why snell isn't used in europe. the ECE standard is more focused on keepign the G forces low so you don't die from brain damage.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:05 PM
1st Gear Member

That's me too.
I don't subscribe to the $500 = $500 head theory either although I don't own any real cheap helmets or one that isn't Snell rated just because my favorite brands are all Snell rated (Shoei, Arai, Simpson).

First and foremost though the helmet has to fit properly and be comfortable AND you have to look bitchin in it.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Now we're talkin'.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

sweet!!!!!!! predator!!! thats awsome.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

ok the predator helmet rocks - i'd wear it

Old 04-10-2008, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

halo helmet would also be awesome

Old 04-10-2008, 06:30 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kohburn

halo helmet would also be awesome
Lol the Halo Master Chief would be so coolfor an mx style. Actually his helmet is alot like a paintball mask

Old 04-11-2008, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I hate that 'is your head worth $400?' arguement too. Just b/c I spent less doesn't make me less safe. It's a motorcycle, and motorcycles can be dangerous, no matter what your wearing.

Quick Reply: Interesting helmet safety article