interesting day on the freeway

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default interesting day on the freeway

cruising along 101 freeway...roughly 75 mph....newish honda cbr250r (looks stock) pauses a bit before passing...i decide to follow along and honda decides he wants to leave me as he slowly decides to accelerate to drop me...i just increase speed and follow along...he downshifts and gives full throttle...i do the same and drop to 5th and just wot...to my surprise i accelerate past him...he is still trying....once i was at about 91 mph and wasn't accelerating any more, cbr250r was way behind...he was in a full tuck and i was just relaxed and sitting straight up...jetted klx250sf isn't bad i guess compared to other 250s....

Old 05-31-2013, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

That guy weigh 300#?

Old 05-31-2013, 09:58 PM
1st Gear Member

klx250's arn't slow

Old 05-31-2013, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

You'll have to put a "confirmed kill" checkmark on your fender.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice to know the KLX can hold it's own.
Must be something in the air today.
I turned onto the 2 lane scenic byway I live off of with a H-D. The first 2 miles are straight and the H-D took off at 60-70mph, I maintained the speed limit (40) until I got passed the straight away (it's a cop hideout, don't ask me how I know). Then I turned it up to 60mph myself, to enjoy the twisties. In less than a mile, I could see him checking his mirrors way ahead of me. Two turns later I came around the turn and there he was. He graciously let me pass in the lane, then I could hear him trying to keep up. Until he realized I wasn't going to slow down for the turns. Maybe he thought I would slow down because I was standing. Nope.
Love this bike. Love riding all out. Love leaving the H-D's behind in the twisties, with my quiet 18 ponies, even more.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member

it's the summer air...

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
Nice to know the KLX can hold it's own.
Must be something in the air today.
I turned onto the 2 lane scenic byway I live off of with a H-D. The first 2 miles are straight and the H-D took off at 60-70mph, I maintained the speed limit (40) until I got passed the straight away (it's a cop hideout, don't ask me how I know). Then I turned it up to 60mph myself, to enjoy the twisties. In less than a mile, I could see him checking his mirrors way ahead of me. Two turns later I came around the turn and there he was. He graciously let me pass in the lane, then I could hear him trying to keep up. Until he realized I wasn't going to slow down for the turns. Maybe he thought I would slow down because I was standing. Nope.
Love this bike. Love riding all out. Love leaving the H-D's behind in the twisties, with my quiet 18 ponies, even more.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Must be, it was 90 and humid here today. Very unusual weather for northern NH this time of year.
I love that you were sitting up and he wasn't. Created a great image in my head of an ATGATT rider nonchalantly going past what I grew up calling a "squid" (picture shorts, no shirt, and flip-flops) trying to be "cool".
Someone asked me if I was hot today. I said, "Sure but it beats leaving my skin behind. I paid good money for my tattoos and would like to keep them." Road rash sucks! Had a good case from a bicycle crash, can't even imagine doing the two slides I've done on the road without gear. One of those slides wore a hole in my leather jacket after a 60' slide! Walked away both times without injury. Not so for the gear.
Not to get all ATGATT on everyone. To each their own. I just can't imagine going without gear. Rode once without a helmet, before CA passed the helmet law, just going 25mph across campus to class scared the crap out of me. I walked back to my apartment after class to get my helmet.
Then I rode up to Alice's. I envy all the crazy canyon roads you have south of the city. It's where I learned to "really" ride. I also miss Duarte's in Pescadero, good food.
OK, hijack over.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Interesting and surprising outcome!

On paper, the CBR definitely has the top speed advantage with about 5 more hp & a fairing...

I recall riding a CBR250 for a couple laps at the track when they first came out. It would do a legitimate 140kmh (90mph) by the end of the straight, even at our elevation of 1000m (3300ft).

Top gear roll-on was very weak though. The key to lap times was having the nerve to keep the throttle pinned right through the corners!

Old 06-01-2013, 02:18 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
Interesting and surprising outcome!

On paper, the CBR definitely has the top speed advantage with about 5 more hp & a fairing...

I recall riding a CBR250 for a couple laps at the track when they first came out. It would do a legitimate 140kmh (90mph) by the end of the straight, even at our elevation of 1000m (3300ft).

Top gear roll-on was very weak though. The key to lap times was having the nerve to keep the throttle pinned right through the corners!
Did you see the shootout between the CBR250 and the new ZX300? Yeah, it's a 50cc disadvantage to the CBR, but the ZX was pretty much killer in all categories over the CBR. The thing has just shy of 40 horsepower. Even the ZX250 Ninja beat the CBR in the last shootout between the two bikes, but the newer 300 is almost a totally new bike. I was impressed, and I'm not even a pocket rocket guy.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Bone stock the little cbr puts out 25 ponies and only weights 20-30 lbs. more than the klx, stock for stock the cbr should kill it, I really thought the cbr would pull the klx if all else was equal but I haven't been on one so who knows. klx 1 cbr 0

Quick Reply: interesting day on the freeway