Interchangeable replacement plastics (side pannels)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 06:42 AM
Default Interchangeable replacement plastics (side pannels)

Does anyone know of any other kawi plastics that will fit our bikes? I know the KX fork guards will fit, does anybody know of other side panels that will fit? any other interchangable plastics?

Old 03-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Interchangeable replacement plastics (side pannels)

i dont believe any side panels fit our bikes.... the klx300 rear fender fits ours though.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:39 PM
ktn

I'm looking for new rear panels too. I have the klx300 rear fender and it's a perfect fit except without the holes for the rack which I booted. I'm waiting for the klx300 taillight which I think is a lower profile...should come today, I'll post up when I get it back together.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:51 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ktn

I'm looking for new rear panels too. I have the klx300 rear fender and it's a perfect fit except without the holes for the rack which I booted. I'm waiting for the klx300 taillight which I think is a lower profile...should come today, I'll post up when I get it back together.
Kevin, please let us know if your stock tail fits the KLX300 fender and if the klx300 light fits the klx250 fender....please

Old 03-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I think the KLX300 right side panel fits, just not the left one since they had to squeeze the battery in there on the '250.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:14 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

I think the KLX300 right side panel fits, just not the left one since they had to squeeze the battery in there on the '250.
and / or the radiator catch tank, the 300 don't have one

Old 03-16-2007, 05:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Interchangeable replacement plastics (side panels)

The 300's do have an overflow tank. From the pictures I have seen of the 250's, it appears the overflow tank is the cause of the bulge in the left side panel unlike the 300. The overflow tank on the 300 is tucked in farther which allows for the flat left side cover.I have not personally seen a 250 and suspect the battery is the cause of the overflow tank having to stick out farther.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Forgot to answer the original question. Basically there are no other interchangeable plastics except the front fender. Manyhave used the front fender from the newer styleKX'sand you have to shim the back side bolts with washer stacks to keep the fender from hitting the frame. The one I personally saw on a 300 looked good. The only aftermarket rear fender, front fender, radiator shroudsand side panels that I know of that will work are from Maier Manufacturing.As mentioned here before, the left side panel is for a 300 or older 250 and will not fit the new 250S.I also think the radiator shrouds they make are only for a 300. Depending on which piece you are looking at they have colors in green, black, and white. Four Stroke Works has the older 250 radiator shrouds that also work on the IMS fuel tanks. I would be interested in seeing some closeup photos of the overflow tank and frame area on the 250S. I'm not sure whats in the way but I think it may be possible to easily fit a 300 tank on the 250S and maybe use the 300 side panel. Is there anything else that protrudes out other than the overflow tank?

Old 03-16-2007, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member

The battery sticks out & there is a "pedestal" welded to the frame loop around the battery that sticks clear out past everything to bolt the side panel to. A thinner side panel would require sawing this off & welding on somethng else for the side panel to bolt to.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like it might be a little more complicated than I first thought. Welding the nut on the frame for the side panel to bolt on would be the easy part, assuming the sub frame is essentially the same. It sounds the battery is the problem. I know Jerry at FSW has offered an electric start upgrade for the 300 from parts of the overseas 250 prior to the U.S. 250S. I actually saw one in his shop but didn't see where he mounted the battery. It was an expensive upgrade, I think it was over $2,000.00. If the battery could be re-located it might be doable.

Quick Reply: Interchangeable replacement plastics (side pannels)