Installing new front brake line?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Installing new front brake line?

I recently got a new front brakeline for like 10 bucks off ebay... now I really dont know how to install it myself... what is a fair price to pay a certified mechanic to install it? One guy told me for 100 dollars he will install the front brake line, put the new wheel on, and check everything else out... Is this too much to pay for all this? Since the wheel I ordered, comes with the hub and everything ready to be bolted on, I think I could do this myself with ease. but the front brakeline I stil dont know how to do... Would it be easy to do myself? or should I just fork out the 100 bones? Is this too much? ****, any feedback would be appreciated. you guys are always helpful.. cant thank you guys enough... peace.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Fit the wheel up yourself. Easy. Buy one of these, and use the $80 you saved to buy more gas so you can ride.

Or try one of these. $8.

http://www.amazon.com/OEM-25036-Blee...030286-8331233

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 08-05-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:52 AM
1st Gear Member

but what about "INSTALLING THE NEW BRAKE LINE"?

Old 08-05-2009, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member

i have no idea how to install a new front brake line...

Old 08-05-2009, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

The brake line has a "banjo" bolt on each end with washers on each side of the brake hose fitting. The manual specifies that you replace the washers, but when I put on my stainless steel lines, I reused them without any issues. The torque valule for the bolts is 25 Nm (2.5kg-m, 18.0 ft-lb).

I thought gravity would get the fluid through the line (so I could bleed the brakes), but either it didn't or I gave up to soon. I used my shop vac to draw the fluid through the line. You can buy the tool for that if you want to...it's much more important that you know how to "bleed" the brakes, changing out the line is the easy part.

Good luck.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Get a large clean rag and a bucket. Take the top of the front brake fluid reservoir, place a rag around the base as not to spill any on the rest of the bike, place a rag around the bottom bleed nut/nipple (has a rubber cap on it) and place the bucket underneath the nut. Open the nut/nipple (no need to remove) 1 or 2 turns so the fluid starts to drain. Once completely drained tighten the nut back up. Remove the brake hose from the reservoir and from the fork end. You can reuse the copper washers on the new hose, refit the new hose the same way the old one came off (torque the bolts up to 25Nm.) Fill the brake reservoir. Now bleed the brake using an Eezibleed of something similar.

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 08-05-2009 at 03:24 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks for the help guys... DEFINITELY not paying this dude 100 bucks to do that... thought he was a friend but apparently the economy is hitting him so hard, he thought he'd take a run at testing my ignorance ... hahaha, almost worked, but good ole' boys at kawasaki forums save my *** again...

Old 08-06-2009, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member

$100 is insane.. It's literally two bolts, and routing the hose.

After that, bleed them, which will take five to seven mins at the most.

Dude was trying to make a quick buck. The whole job shouldn't take more than 30 mins.. I doubt you'll even have to remove the wheel.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Highway robbery, 30 minutes if its your first time.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kpwestmo
One guy told me for 100 dollars he will install the front brake line, put the new wheel on, and check everything else out...
Wait a minute? Put the new wheel on? Is it just a simple bolt on or does it have to be laced with the spokes and trued?

Quick Reply: Installing new front brake line?