inner tubes

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member
Default inner tubes

Seems as I'm finally getting around to all the mods I need to make I find more questions. It's been a long time since I messed around with tires with tubes! This time I need re-"edumacated" about inner tube sizes.

I want to put in heavy duty tubes - found the right size for the front. But can't find the correct size for the back. Manual says 120/80-18. I know 18 means 18 inch wheel, I figure 120/80 is the width/height thing. Can't find a listing for this size anywhere.

What size tubes will work??? Tire size on the 09 is 4.6-18 63P.

Jeff

Old 04-09-2010, 02:28 AM
1st Gear Member

almost any, i personaly dont go more than a size either way, but youll be fine. heres a quick list i can come up with on the top of my head
110/80, 120/80, 110/90, 120/90, 130/90, 110/100, 120/100, plus the metric sizes (i maybe be wrong, it maybe be some other sizing style).

Old 04-09-2010, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

100/100 18 or 120/100 18. Cycle gear usually has the Moose brand heavy duty tubes in stock.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Any 18" tube that is close will work fine....I bet all sizes are made in China outta the same press

Old 04-09-2010, 06:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Any 18" tube that is close will work fine....I bet all sizes are made in China outta the same press
and with the flip of a switch, it will make 21's too...

Old 04-09-2010, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

That's what I figured. Makes sense - the damn thing will just stretch and fill the void... I planned to take out the OEM's, replace with heavy duty and keep the rear for a trail spare. Although Finger is probably right, they are all made in the same mold in China, any suggestions on brand? I got a Kenda for the front (cause it was the "right" size).

Old 04-09-2010, 03:01 PM
1st Gear Member

You're going to want to keep the front for a spare since you can shove a 21 into an 18" tire but it is much harder to get the 18 onto the 21. Do you plan on adding a rimlock? How about slime inside the tire? I've done all three on my off road bikes with great results. Not sure on high speed with slime though.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:50 PM
1st Gear Member

It's easier to shove a 21 into an 18? I figured it would be the other way around. I've never had to change a tube on the trail. Good to know.
Anyway, slime? I thought slime was to plug holes after the fact.....
Do rimlocks really help much?

Old 04-09-2010, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I've never had to change a tube on the trail either. After doing the job in the shop many times with great effort I decided that I would do everything I could to get back to the truck on the flat. I have ridden over 30 miles on a flat front off road. The rimlocks help with this since you can ride on a flat much better without the tire slipping on the rim and the tube can usually be salvaged since the stem will be ripped out if the tube is allowed to slip on the rim. I noticed that my 2009 KLX has the rim knockouts for rim-locks. I've never seen a dirt bike without rim locks. I don't see any balancing weights on our wheels but I would have to think that the rimlock will add weight to the wheels and may roughen the ride?

Slime is meant to be put in the tire before you get a puncture. It is meant to seal punctures up to 1/8" immediately without you ever noticing. I have heard stories about guys getting back off the trail and having green pokadots on their tires from all the sealed punctures.

So ultra HD tubes, rim locks, relatively good tires, and slime are about the best we can do to prevent being stranded with a flat. Flat tires ruin rides.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:54 PM
1st Gear Member

We're running Kenda Tuff Tubes with Slime, based on the recommendation of some buddies that run in the desert a lot... Haven't had a problem with them at all - in fact, I just discovered a large cactus thorn in my tire and it's still holding air like a champ (although I'll be fixing it this weekend). Tires are Michelin AC-10's (awesome, awesome, BTW).

We also installed rim locks at the same time - Motion Pro...

And, to balance out the added weight, some spoke weights from American Motorcycle Tire... Front was 2.5 oz and rear is 4.0 oz. We used 0.5 oz weights for the front (took 5) and installed them on the two spokes directly across from the rim lock. We used 1.0 oz weights on the rear. Crimped them on with some Channel Locks best we could, then used a ziptie to keep them from riding into the center of the rim (although that's only a problem when you aren't moving). Worked like a champ.

http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...6d98174cf79abd

Before the wheel weights, though, it was a bit scary over 50 mph on the road... Now, no worries.

Quick Reply: inner tubes