initial start and warming

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 02:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Don’t believe everything on Wikipedia, anyone can edit it. The part about the fuel sticking to the walls because of the fuel not atomizing is partially correct, that is where fuel injection shines. They left out another factor. Cooler air is denser. Heat excites atoms and causes them to occupy more volume in space. So there for, the hotter your air is, the thinner it is. Or, the cooler it is, the denser it is. Meaning; when the engine pulls air in, it pulls more when it is cold and less the hotter it is. In other words cold air causes a lean condition. The engine is “Tuned” for operating temperatures and it needs the little bit of fuel to richen the mixture until it is up to operating temperature. The carb on the KLX has a richening circuit not a choke. It works on the same principle but is the opposite in operation. Instead of choking off the air to richen the mixture it adds fuel to the mixture.

You don’t have to believe anything I write either, after all this is the internet. Anyone can make up believable Bull ****.

Last edited by cmott426; 05-25-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:33 PM
1st Gear Member

This is just crazy. The KLX is one cold blooded betch, I had to run the choke for about 10 min to keep it running. Now I got a pumper carb & it starts & warmup are less chokey.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Aside from my lazy cut and paste, the point I was trying to make is that the goal is to get your motor warmed up in the shortest amount of time. Your motor is happier when its running within its normal operating temperature range. You don't want to run it long cold. That's why the cooling fan is on a thermostat. Not using the choke long enough is a bad thing. IMO.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Cool

mine has had this same problem from the begining. I took the bike back to the dealer after a week, they told me they changed the compression release needle? it has run better this last year, but I still have to use the same start and warm up session as you mentioined, I use regular 87 fuel and the Kawasaki oil from the dealer?

Old 06-04-2012, 02:43 PM
1st Gear Member

just an update...i did my valve adjustment over the weekend...my inlet valves were out of spec after 8,600 miles...replaced both inlet valve shims....both exhaust valves were within specs...raining and cold morning...one push of the starter and started...it starts and idles without choke....don't even have to give throttle now..and, it feels like a new bike...it's feels lot more responsive...it just needed a valve adjustment...

Last edited by ahnh666; 06-04-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
i fill up gas every single day, so it's probably not the gas...91 octane and i don't pump at stations with shared single pump for all octanes...i'm pretty **** about taking care of things....i go to a gas station that has separate pumps for 87, 89 and 91 octane......ultra ****....

when starting and if i push the choke back in too soon, it idles at about 1,100 to 1,200...it'll bog down to 1,000 and cut out...once warmed...it idles strong and fine at 1,300+ range...

when i was using the pricey redline 10w/30 and 10w/40 full-synthetic oil mix, i didn't have any problems with keeping the choke out...this problem only started after i started using yamalube 10w/40 semi-synthetic oil....maybe it's just the oil and the yamalube takes longer to warm....that is the only change i made on the klx250...going from full-synthetic to semi-synthetic oil...
Originally Posted by jeffzx9
(The YammerLube may use more paraffin in their base. Not a "bad" thing; there ARE benefits to using a semi-syn, but I don't want to ignite that oil thread Jihad...)

(The "condensation" theory^ seems backwards; you would experience a shorter warm-up time as the ambient temperatures warm. Your warm-up time has increased....which is what Lotrat is also saying^. We're on the same page.)

My 2 cents.
I'm a big fan of Redline fluids. Use both their oil (5w-20) and ATF in my car.

I would personally stay away from semi-synthetic mixes and either stick with a true full synthetic or just a typical conventional oil.

Redline has significantly less friction from the zddp and moly along with the base oil and better ring seal.

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
Here is an ultra-low-cost test, put 87 Octane-rated gas in it, see if it makes a positive difference. Since you don't have a turbocharger or a higher compression piston/gasket setup, there is no apparent reason to use higher than 87 Octane anyway. You just may fix your problem AND spend less money from here on out.

Octane ratings are NOT Quality ratings......many 87 Octane fuels are superior to many 91 (or higher) Octane fuels, because of the additives that are used to achieve the higher Octane characteristic.
Stay away from BP with their Invigorate additive crap packs. I prefer Shell V-Power or Marathon. Google around for engine tear down comparisons of carbon build up with one engine using X fuel and the other using Y fuel.

Originally Posted by ahnh666
just an update...i did my valve adjustment over the weekend...my inlet valves were out of spec after 8,600 miles...replaced both inlet valve shims....both exhaust valves were within specs...raining and cold morning...one push of the starter and started...it starts and idles without choke....don't even have to give throttle now..and, it feels like a new bike...it's feels lot more responsive...it just needed a valve adjustment...
Sweet. This is something that I eventually need to learn how to do.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:40 PM
1st Gear Member

it's pretty easy, but you probably want somebody to talk you through it on the first time...just turning the cams and looking for the T....you actually have to look at the cams too...may take couple rotations and passing the T few times....

the cam chain tensioner...make sure you are careful when taking it out..there is a spring...press the tensioner all the way in also after you take it out just so you don't forget...

don't drop the cam chain!...remove the rear cam...stick a long screwdriver/rod/stick or zip tie it....remove the front cam....when putting the cam back..put the front one than the rear one....make sure you put it exactly the way you marked it...make sure the chain is tight int he front first before installing the front cam...if i remember correctly, you also need to count to make sure you have 32 pins from front to back...

when removing valve cover and cam cover...make sure you unscrew and screw in the bolts evenly little by little....do not unscrew or screw in the bolts completely one by one....

make sure you clean off and scrape off all the silicon...apparently this is very very important...little thicker layer of sealant around the half moon...and very very thin layer around....

do whatever it takes to remove the valve cover..that was probably the hardest part....the simplest thing was the hardest...i should have removed the ca emissions stuff, but i didn't have the right size plugs

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
Sweet. This is something that I eventually need to learn how to do.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:48 PM
1st Gear Member

on another note...after the valve adjustment...even cold raining mornings...i barely touch the start button and it starts...don't need to twist the throttle....don't even need the choke...amazing what a simple valve adjustment can do....

Old 06-05-2012, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
Checked your valve clearances lately?
Did I call it or what?!

Amazing the difference it makes. You don't notice it because the decrease is so gradual.. But when you fix it, you fix it all at once and it's like**BAM** !

Good job.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Great thread. Great info. Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: initial start and warming