initial service

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 04:11 AM
1st Gear Member
Default initial service

well its time for the dealer recomended first service... at 600 miles. do you think its worth the $250 for them to go through it the first time? or is it all things i could do at home? he said something about checking valve spacing and stuff?

let me know what you guys think!

Old 06-24-2007, 06:17 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: initial service

ORIGINAL: justanotheradikt

well its time for the dealer recomended first service... at 600 miles. do you think its worth the $250 for them to go through it the first time? or is it all things i could do at home? he said something about checking valve spacing and stuff?

When I looked in the manual, the 600 mile service consisted of an oil change and a bunch of visual checks that pretty much could be done by myself in about 10 minutes. Valves do not need to be checkeduntil the 7.5K service. Needless to say, I completed the 600 mile service on my own.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:52 AM
1st Gear Member

$250 !!!!!!!!!!!! [:'(]

Go elsewhere and find a fair dealer

Old 06-24-2007, 12:42 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

When I looked in the manual, the 600 mile service consisted of an oil change and a bunch of visual checks that pretty much could be done by myself in about 10 minutes. Valves do not need to be checkeduntil the 7.5K service. Needless to say, I completed the 600 mile service on my own.
thats what i saw in there too...and was kinda lost. so its not until 7,500 miles that engine things need to be checked?

cant seem to find my manual right now... but yea.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:22 PM
1st Gear Member

$250 for an oil cange????? Don't let yourself get ripped off. Check all the nuts and bolts as shown in the manual. Make sure all the spokes are tight. If any get loose it can be a real project to set-up the wheel runout. Make yourself a little tool kit with all the wrenches /sockets that fit the nuts & bolts that need to be checked periodically. Spend the $250 on a class that teaches motorcycle maintenance. Even adjusting valves is pretty easy once you know how. The dealer can do the 600 mile service in 1/2 hour and I don't believe for a minute that they physically check valves at only 600 miles. If they said $50 and the really checked everything carefully, that would be a fair price.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Most people are checking the valves before 7,500 miles.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:24 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

thats what i saw in there too...and was kinda lost. so its not until 7,500 miles that engine things need to be checked?
That's what the manual states. I don't see how a shim type valves needs to be checked at 600 miles. I can see if it was a rocker nut but....

Most bikes that have shim type valve adjustments don't need to be adjusted for 15,000 - 25,000 miles.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:35 PM
1st Gear Member

just did everything but change oil and it took more time to go downstairs than check all that.

a few dumb questions:
1. how do you check wheel runout?
2. if a spoke were loose, would i be able to tell with my hand or should i try all with a wrench?
3. on your suspension set up, and you say 4 clicks out, is that 4 clicks from full hard? im guessing at this but just makin sure.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

too add... i would never pay 250 for oil change, he just said they gotta go in and check valves and all that...figured they were feeding me bull****.

anywho im thinking before i hit 7.5k im going to read up on how to check them and all...just do that myself also

Old 06-24-2007, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

just did everything but change oil and it took more time to go downstairs than check all that.

a few dumb questions:
1. how do you check wheel runout?
2. if a spoke were loose, would i be able to tell with my hand or should i try all with a wrench?
3. on your suspension set up, and you say 4 clicks out, is that 4 clicks from full hard? im guessing at this but just makin sure.
1. You need a gauge. I really wouldn't worry about it unless you have reasons to believe the wheel has been banged up.

2. Tap them all with a wrench. It should have a nice ting to it. If it doesn't sound too melodic, then it's loose. Tighten them up with a spoke wrench.

3. Yup.

Quick Reply: initial service