indicator issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 02:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Default indicator issue

Hey guys I'm just having a problem with my indicators, more specifically the left side front and rear wont flash but the right side front and rear do.

The issue began a couple of weeks ago when I haven't rode in a couple of days.

When I signal left, the headlight and speedo will flash briefly.
If I was to signal left, then instantly signal right, the right side indicators fail to flash. Canceling the signal and retying again to the right, the indicators flash which is strange.

Where and how do I start looking to fix this?
I cant see there being an issue with the indicator switch as it seems to be recognising me pressing left or right. Any ideas?

Thanks guys

Old 09-08-2015, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I've got two ideas for you buddy. The first idea, which I've actually used, is to lightly tap the indicator that's not working after you hit the switch. My left rear doesn't always like to flash when I signal left, and I know this because the front left indicator and the turn signal light on the HUD will flash faster, just like a car. When this happens, I can reach back and barely bump my hand against the rear flasher enough to make it move and it will start flashing. Easy fix.

My other idea is the follow the wires from the indicators and work your way back to the main control area. See if there are any loose connectors or exposed wires. With the speedo and headlight flashing after you indicate a left turn, it tells me that the electrical system has a draw somewhere like the lights should be turning on. If they aren't, then I would check everything in between.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member

does the brake light work?

I would check:

fuse

if there is a relay/hazard flasher/signal flasher

the bulbs.

a shorted wire (a broken wire somewhere making contact on the frame)

it doesn't take much once a wire is exposed underneath the insulation then you will have a 'shorted' wire. when a shorted wire makes contact on a metal surface it will interfere with whatever circuit its shorting out. in this example lets pretend its your turn signal.

I would also check out the wiring diagram on the forum and trace from the turn signal indicator to what controls the signals. then trace from the signals anything that would control how the turn signal works. maybe it traces back to a fuse/flasher/bulb/?

I recently had the same thing happen to my truck. all the turn signals would glow amber but wouldn't flash. I sprayed some PB blaster in the fuse panel (because it draws moisture out) and installed a new hazard flasher. they all work now.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Kawasaki Motorcycle Parts 2012 KLX250TCF KLX250S CHASSIS ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT Diagram

this bike does have a turn signal flasher. the link above is the parts diagram and where it goes. 27002A. its right where all your fuses are underneath the seat.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for your reply's

Today I removed the seat and rear plastic to access the fuse box etc.
I checked each fuse which all appeared fine.

The next test was to see if there was a fault in the connection somewhere.
So I started wiggling all the cables around the rear left indicator and alas, it started flashing with the front.
Now knowing what and where the issue is, I decided to stick the seat and plastic back on the bike.

This however opened up a can of worms, now the bike wont fire up.
Ensuring the bike is in neutral and kill switch is off/on, the ignition button does nothing.
All the lights are fading as if the battery is almost dead.

I think its time to hand it over to the pro's, ill stick to riding the things!!

Old 09-09-2015, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Did you load test the battery by chance?
Might just need a new one.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Update?

Old 10-01-2015, 10:29 AM
1st Gear Member

After investigation a diode (49018) had disconnected, this is what prevented the bike from firing up. This must of been loose or come undone when attaching the panels back on to the bike somehow.

Also for whatever reason, the battery lost a lot of power very quickly too.
We stuck the battery on charge and rewired the rear left indicator.

Gave the battery an hour or so to get a bit of power in it and it fired up first time.

All is resolved and running like a champ again.

Last edited by zl PINHEAD lz; 10-01-2015 at 10:53 AM.