Ims tank fit

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Ims tank fit

After reading many of your opinions about tanks, I bought a IMS 3 gallon tank over Christmas, but just got around to installing it this week. I know that most of you said it was a simple fit, and at least one person said it was a problem. We all know that tolerances can be off a bit on these, but mine is crazy. I can line up one side attachment, but the other is high by about 1/4 inch. Had my wife sit on it, not budging. Can't get through to IMS yet, website not responding, email not returned. I'll call again later. Just wondered if any of you had similar experiences. Played with my DRZ, so I felt better....
But me wants the tank to work! Aaaarrrggghh!

Old 02-21-2013, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine was a bit tough to get it to go too. Are you sure the tank is seated all the way down as far as it can go. Are there any obstructions in the way? I had to reroute a couple of things and make sure that the smog stuff in front of the tank is out of the way too. It could also be manufacture defect since the mounts are melted into the plastic.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Had to rip off the frame guards for the stock tank, then it settled in. Not what I had in mind, since I wanted to switch back to the stock possibly in the future. But hey, what are you gonna do. Now it's this tank or nothing. IMS guy, Steve, talked with one of his guys who mentioned this was a point that held up some tanks when they tried it out themselves.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

mine fit perfectly...did you remove the rubber bumper?...i remember that got in the way...bottom of the tank where my k&n sticker is....the rubber donut needs to come out...put the ims tank in...put the rubber donut above the metal bracket...bolt it in...that is how i installed it...

Last edited by ahnh666; 02-22-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:13 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Frame protectors on top of the frame spars, the pads, did not line up. Had to rip them off. Then the tank settled in fine. IMS said they've sold 300 of these tanks and have had no issues. But it's obvious to me anyway, that we've all had to make some adjustment not listed by IMS to make them fit. Nothing universal, or it would be in the instructions.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:20 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Is it due to a manufacturing variance with the IMS tank? I imagine that Kawasaki's frame & mounting points would be spot-on except if the bike was bent due to an accident. Concerning for someone like me who has to buy one via mail order from the States and it don't fit

Old 02-22-2013, 02:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Huskyville? Seattle?

Lilyboy if your in the northwest we could meet up sometime and take off both tanks and see what the difference is.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:37 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Cool

Tom, that could work sometime. I may still have to remove the center damper too, have not installed fairings yet, just dry fitted the tank with the side bolts, and threw the seat on to see if things finally lined up. I'm just hoping my experience will help others who get stuck, and don't know they have to remove stuff not listed by IMS. I don't mind modifying the bike, and have done so in the past to others. I just hadn't read of anyone doing these things to theirs, so I thought something was really wrong with my tank. To repeat, IMS said they had not had ANYONE call with a problem like mine. I'll take them at their word, but...?
My name is Greg by the way, Lilyboy is my daughters pick. Can you guess why? Such a macho choice.
PS I will take pics to show final results and how I got there...

Last edited by Lilyboy; 02-22-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:39 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Forgot to mention, they have now sent them to Japan with the EFI bikes in mind. Said they fit fine. Just passing it along.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

i think if i had the oem donut bumper, ims tank should have fit fine...but, i had the gas tank recall and kawasaki replaced it with the bigger rubber bumper and i think that is what made it not fit correctly on mine.....

Quick Reply: Ims tank fit