IMS Plastic tank shroud bolt insert spinning in tank......???? Now what...????

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 01:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Default IMS Plastic tank shroud bolt insert spinning in tank......???? Now what...????

Ok, So some of you may have seen my thread about my electrical issue. When I went to remove my 3 gal IMS plastic tank, the one bolt on bottom side right is tight into the threads on the bronze or brass threaded bolt insert. When trying to remove that bolt, the metal insert is spinning in the plastic, so I can't get that bolt out in order to remove my tank. I know this has been a problem for some of you. I do use greese or Anti-Seize on them, but this one isn't coming out. I must have over tightened it. Anyway, has anyone had this happen, and do you have any ideas on how to remove this bolt without cutting that tab on my frame? I removed my coil, but it was a pain in the *** getting to it with tank still on the bike. I will need to remove the tank soon anyway soon when I check my valve clearance. Also maybe a BB 351 kit too. I'm wondering if I just spin the **** out of it with my air wrench to really loosen it up, then pry and pop it out? But I can't chance having a leak. I don't think this will cause a leak, but to late if it does. Thats $270 down the drain. Any ideas? What did you do???

Thank You, I appreciate any ideas or help with this....

Old 05-23-2016, 10:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I think spinning the **** out if it will heat up the plastic and possibly let the insert come out of the tank completely. Maybe not a bad option, but can you get a screwdriver between the frame tab and the insert to give it a little resistance to spinning?

Old 05-23-2016, 11:56 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Spin the bolt until the insert comes out or use pliers on the bolt to pull the insert out. Use pliers to hold the insert and unscrew the bolt. Use epoxy and glue the insert back in place. Let the glue set and harden for the prescribed time on the instructions. Assemble as normal.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:56 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bluezr7
Spin the bolt until the insert comes out or use pliers on the bolt to pull the insert out. Use pliers to hold the insert and unscrew the bolt. Use epoxy and glue the insert back in place. Let the glue set and harden for the prescribed time on the instructions. Assemble as normal.
Agree with this method.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Have any of you that are recommending spinning the bolt or holding onto the insert actually done it?? Will epoxy hold in the plastic?

Ride on
Brewster

Old 05-23-2016, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. I did try to wedge an ahl point in there, but can't get it to hold. I'll keep trying and at worse case, I'll just pull it out. It's just so tight right there. If you have the bike, you know what I mean. I'll keep ya posted on how I make out.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Can you heat the tank around the nut enough with a heat gun to get it to stick a bit...without turning your bike into a mini car bomb?

Old 05-23-2016, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brewster
Have any of you that are recommending spinning the bolt or holding onto the insert actually done it?? Will epoxy hold in the plastic?

Ride on
Brewster
Done this on my KLX250 Acerbis and KDX220 stock tanks with mediocre results on epoxy holding the retainer back in the plastic. The right epoxy would probably improve things.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lj-rubi
Can you heat the tank around the nut enough with a heat gun to get it to stick a bit...without turning your bike into a mini car bomb?

I don't think a heat gun would be any better. Be smart about it. Drain the tank and let it vent for a while, leave the cap off, keep an extinguisher handy.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I've had good results with jb weld for just about everything I ever used it on. It might also help to put a little tooth on the parts being epoxied also. A round insert in a round hole being the worst possible case. If the plastic is thick enough around the insert, file a couple grooves in it.

Oh and if you do the heat gun thing, put your go-pro on a tripod for the rest of us.

Quick Reply: IMS Plastic tank shroud bolt insert spinning in tank......???? Now what...????