I'm Leaking!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:09 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default I'm Leaking!

I noticed a black drop on my garage floor, so i decided to look under the bike. This is what i saw.

On right side, oil is coming out of engine.

How do i fix this?

Last edited by 09klx; 09-27-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:32 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Re-torque the valve cover? The button has oil on it from the front gasket leaking right?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:30 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
Re-torque the valve cover? The button has oil on it from the front gasket leaking right?
1st picture..YES

Old 09-27-2010, 12:35 PM
1st Gear Member

A common problem with the 09"s. I had the same thing happen. I replaced the valve cover gasket and haven't had any more problems. I think Kawasaki had a bad batch of gaskets, however they never put out a service bulletin.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:18 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

It looks like the OP has leaking issues from several sources...or the oil is coming solely from the top (valve cover) and running all over the place. 09klx, can you tell you actually have leaks from numerous locations or are we looking at dribble from the top and wind driven oil creeping around the motor?

Wasn't there a post not too long ago where the poster was having oil leaks from all over the motor? While the '09 valve cover issue seems to be somewhat common, if those leaks are actually coming from other locations too, I'd think there's an overfill situation or a crankcase pressure issue for some reason. I don't think you're going to get many '09 models to just start leaking from various locations because of bad gaskets and seals. Are you sure your oil level is not too high, and that you haven't experienced a stuck float which may have dumped a bunch of fuel into the crankcase?

Old 09-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Did your bike happen to have the smog stuff molested with?

Old 09-27-2010, 03:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Thats probably all coming from the valve cover gasket. Mine began leaking around the half moons and then from the front of the cover it droozeled down the cylinder by the exhaust pipe and leaked off the skid plate. Once I replaced the cover gasket it hasn't leaked anywhere since. Make sure to follow the directions in the manual and put some Kawi-bond or the likes on the half moons.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Same issue here. The valve cover gasket leaks oil, which streams down the side of the motor and collects dust, and the motor looks like its leaking everywhere, but its just the one spot.

Sometimes a drop or two dribbles out where the shifter shaft comes out of the engine as well, but not too often.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

replace with a new one, black rtv on the half moons and just a bit out side of that. normal problem on the 09s. retorqueing them doesnt help, just stresses every weak bolts.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:47 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
It looks like the OP has leaking issues from several sources...or the oil is coming solely from the top (valve cover) and running all over the place. 09klx, can you tell you actually have leaks from numerous locations or are we looking at dribble from the top and wind driven oil creeping around the motor?

Wasn't there a post not too long ago where the poster was having oil leaks from all over the motor? While the '09 valve cover issue seems to be somewhat common, if those leaks are actually coming from other locations too, I'd think there's an overfill situation or a crankcase pressure issue for some reason. I don't think you're going to get many '09 models to just start leaking from various locations because of bad gaskets and seals. Are you sure your oil level is not too high, and that you haven't experienced a stuck float which may have dumped a bunch of fuel into the crankcase?
Actually its multiple leaks. I cleaned up all the leaks and 2 days later i found it leaking a bit in the same places.

Yes i put the correct amount of oil.

Fuel in the crankcase? Dont know how that would happen.

Last edited by 09klx; 09-28-2010 at 07:53 AM.

Quick Reply: I'm Leaking!