I think I finally got a job

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

A Husaberg FE-570 has been tempting me seriously. It's a lot of off-road motorcycle though. Arizona doesn't have much tight woods riding where I live so, big power has my attention. The rotational mass around the Center of Gravity helps offset the extra mass and it is lighter then our little KLX's when equally fueled and oiled.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Ya I am still in NY. I saw a 2006 drz for 3300.00 with only 1300 miles.

I have to wait until I have that offer letter though before I go looking. I have had hiring managers tell me "your in" before and then all of a sudden something changes and I am out.

I will keep all of you posted on my choice!

Steve

Old 07-03-2009, 05:01 AM
1st Gear Member

xr650r that u plate would be the ticket! plenty o power and reliable as can be!

Old 07-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buffalony
I have to wait until I have that offer letter though before I go looking. I have had hiring managers tell me "your in" before and then all of a sudden something changes and I am out.
Wise move. Good luck, hope the new job works out. This economy sucks.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: We're full time RV'ers. We live where we park it, but that's usualy out west.
Thumbs down Been There .. Done That!

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
The DRZ may as well be farm equipment. Plenty of other great options out there - Husqvarna, KTM, Husaberg, KLX450 (if you can get it plated), CRF450X, WR450, etc, etc. Don't discount the 250's either. Were I buying again right now, I'd seriously consider a 250, probably a KTM 250 XCF-W. No lack of power, but easier to handle in the woods. I'm still happy with my 450 EXC, though, it is phenomenally fun.

I'm making the assumption that you like the dirt more than you like the asphalt, so here's my take on the decision you have before you:

Like I said: "Been there & Done that!" It was a great day when I called Wild West Motors in Yuma, AZ (from my hospital bed in Sacramento, CA) and found that they had a brand new DRZ400S in yellow on their show room floor. I'll buy it! I'm sending the money today. Hold it for me, I'm on my way in a week!! The more I rode that piece of sh***t, the more I despised my decision to buy it! When our buddies all got together in some rather technical stuff with tight trees, soft terrain, lots of twist's, loose stones, big rocks, rocky water crossings with walls to climb on the ascent .... well, you get the picture, but that's the stuff that they all love to ride in. After "horsing" that piece of farm equipment around all day in that environment I made up my mind that a lighter, less powerful and more manageable in the tight stuff bike was what I should have bought. One of my dirt bike buddies had a green '06 COW-A-SOCK-EE that he seemed to be able to do anything that he wanted to... and it was only a 250 yet.

I made my way to the nearest Kawi dealer and said "I want a KLX250s".

He said "so do a lot of my potential customers! Not legal for sales in California my friend! You'll have to go to Oregon if you got your heart set on one of those bikes!"

What the hell, I'm retired and we live in our Fleetwood DP motor-home. The second most happy day for me was when I sold that nearly new DRZ400S for $4,000,cash, to some fellow in Oregon. Then I bought the best darned bike that I've ever owned. It's an '07 KLX250s and I expected that if I ever felt the need for more ponies under my crotch, there'd be some one building power for me. Bill Blue has answered that for me... but I'm still happy with what I've got (and I already have a spare cylinder in case I decide to part with a half a grand).

FWIW, I wouldn't have another DRZ if it was free and painted red white and blue! Ricky Carmichael is who made that bike such an "in demand bike", IMHO. Sorry Deej!, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!!

Stay safe out there!

Old 07-04-2009, 03:57 AM
1st Gear Member

I honestly wish KAWI would stop fn around and just make a 400cc dual sport!

I had an 07 and I loved that bike 2. I spent just the right amount of money for it, then spent way to much money on it making act like the bike it should have been made from the get go. I would just like to honestly get a bike that when I snap the throttle, it snaps back!

I have never rode bb's 331 or 351. Mine was a 300cc though when I sold it. The 300cc made it better. Enough that I sat about middle of the seat which was closer to the tank than when it was a 250. It still seemed to need just a little more. 30+hp on that bike and it would be a ride to respect... Making a klx250 do 30+hp's is the same as making it into a race bike which it is not. Race bikes are always broke anyway..

I geuss the alternative is to lose about 50lbs and then maybe my fat *** would not slow the bike down so much.

I should hopefully know by tuesday according to the recruiter.

Steve

Old 07-04-2009, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, the DRZ just isn't a good trail bike. It's good on the road, it's good on the logging roads, but it's not good on the single-track.

If you really want a good off-road bike, look past the DRZ. Unless you just grandma the bike around gravel and dirt roads - then it'll be fine

Old 07-04-2009, 02:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Most of the plases I ride are wooded. Some of the trails are narrow, some are wide snowmobile trails. Alot of the time there is mud, some of the time there is alot of mud!

Either way it has to have a plate. At the moment, I am just praying I get that offer letter. I do thank everybody for the advice on the DRZ. I was leaning heavy towards it. You would think that a bike with decent torque like the DRZ or the KTM that you would be able to muscle it around the trail. If your in a tight turn , lean pull, twist the throttle and flip the hips to throw the *** of the bike around.. I know it is easier said than done..

I am a big guy at 230lbs, I have been tossing 80lb bags of concrete around and digging holes since march. strength is not my short falling.

I have not ridden a DZR so maybe my expectations of what I hear from others is exagerated.

Steve

Old 07-04-2009, 02:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Its great to hear there is a new job in this economy !!

Old 07-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buffalony
Most of the plases I ride are wooded. Some of the trails are narrow, some are wide snowmobile trails. Alot of the time there is mud, some of the time there is alot of mud!

Either way it has to have a plate. At the moment, I am just praying I get that offer letter. I do thank everybody for the advice on the DRZ. I was leaning heavy towards it. You would think that a bike with decent torque like the DRZ or the KTM that you would be able to muscle it around the trail. If your in a tight turn , lean pull, twist the throttle and flip the hips to throw the *** of the bike around.. I know it is easier said than done..

I am a big guy at 230lbs, I have been tossing 80lb bags of concrete around and digging holes since march. strength is not my short falling.

I have not ridden a DZR so maybe my expectations of what I hear from others is exagerated.

Steve

If you're that big, the DRZ might be fine. I'd suggest to ride one first, though, preferably on the trails. Then ride one of the others if you can, KTM, Husky, etc.

Don't confuse it with a KTM, though, which makes a great off-road and single-track bike. The KTM 4-strokes are about 50 lbs lighter than the DRZ. The 2-strokes are about 80 lbs lighter. So riding the DRZ would be similar to strapping one of those 80lb bags of concrete to a lighter bike and hitting the trails.

Quick Reply: I think I finally got a job