I should have bought a WR?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default I should have bought a WR?

Well sort of, maybe . I bought my KLX new from the dealer in Sept, and I already have 1,200km on the bike and have done the following mods

Full Muzzy
Re-jet carb
Air box lid off
Drilled slide
Crank Case Mod
Smog removal

I just ordered a 13 tooth front sprokect and I have to order a Uni filter as well.

This did make a drastic improvement in performance but I still want more. I talked to a guy I know who has a WR250 and he says his will come up in fourth gear…I didn’t even want to tell him about mine lol. Before I bought my bike I was looking at a used but in mint shape 2004 WR450 for the same price as my new KLX. But I finally decided on the KLX because it was ready for the street off the floor and has a keyed ignition and lockable steering. But there are no problems registering a WR for the street where I live, and the money I spent on mods for the KLX would have easily paid for some extra lighting for the WR.

Don’t get me wrong, I do like my KLX but in the back of my mind I keep thinking I would be happier with a WR that has so much more power before any mods at all. So probably next year sometime, I may look at selling or trading in the KLX on a WR as long as I don’t lose my shirt on the deal.

But I ‘m going to change the gearing and install the UNI filter on my bike and see how it works after that before I make my decision. I just wanted to share my thoughts on this incase there are some people sitting on the fence on what bike to get. I know both bikes have there pros and cons, and price is a big one, as well as if you can register a WR where you live.

So for now I will continue to ride and enjoy my KLX, but I will probably be moving up next year.

Old 10-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I should have bought a WR?

yea id have to say this bike isnt for everyone, if you want gobs of scary fast power,, this bike isnt for you, but for what i wanted its perfect for me... i love it... ill get a street bike next for my need for speed.... hope it all works out for ya man.

Old 10-06-2006, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Member

My dad has a friend who just got a brand new WR450 and it's almost go to much power. I think a WR250 would bb perfect, but there is the cost issue still.

Old 10-06-2006, 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I actually think too much power is what I'm looking for lol.

Old 10-06-2006, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey dont be disapointed with the KLX250 I have a WR250F and I love it. When the rain hits and the fire danger goes down I will be riding it every weekend. That said the KLX was a little disapointing at first,but I ride it everyweekend during fire season and it opens up a whole new concept for me . I have rode it to the coast and to the mountains unmodified except the 13 tooth c/s. I have taken this little Green machine just about every where I have had the WR almost (dont want to scratch it). I enjoy daulsporting as much as woods riding. Answer is to have 2 bikes and ride the snott out of both of them. My 2cents. So far the only thing the KLX cannot do as well as the WR is wheelie I,m a big guy 230+ I love my KLX just like my WR.

Old 10-06-2006, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input tbav8or

I’m not disappointed with the KLX, it does everything it was meant to do. I would just like more power. I’d like to be able to hit it in almost any gear and and have the front end come up…I like wheelies. I knew that the KLX wouldn’t provide that when I bought it, but I still bought the bike for what it is and I’m happy with it in that aspect. I’m just one of those people who is hardly ever truly satisfied lol.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

The WR does look like a great bike. However, at the $1600 price difference, you can do a lot with that extra money on the KLX. It really just depends on which one is closest to what you want in stock form and which of each's difficiencies is most easily "corrected". I'm guessing you have about $400 or $500 in your KLX now. And for the rest of the difference, you could bump the bore size up to 330cc and add a pumper carb to your KLX and it would probably be closer to what you wanted and you'd still retain pretty decent roadability with its 6-speed tranny, lighting, electric start, etc. Just a thought.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: FiveOMaster

My dad has a friend who just got a brand new WR450 and it's almost go to much power. I think a WR250 would bb perfect, but there is the cost issue still.
Is there really such a thing

I do not have a klx but if I did I would do the gearing mod first so as to gain the low end torque that a dirt bike needs. JMO

Old 10-06-2006, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Check the gearing specs between the WR and the KLX, I would bet that even with the 13 tooth you are still a long ways away from the WR as far as mechanical advantage (ie he has numerically higher gear ratios) For comparison's sake the klx 300 comes stock with a 52 tooth rear sprocket, thats roughly equivalent to having ours with an 11 tooth front and 42 tooth rear or switching to the 52 tooth rear, same idea. I'd think the WR probably tops out at low to mid 60's screaming compared to the klx which I've had 80 out of it (on a loooooong flat stretch) at nowhere near redline, the KLX just doesn't have the horsepower to pull top gear. If you were to swtich to 13/52 you'd have some crazy low end but you wouldn't want to ride on the road at the speed limit anyway.

Old 10-07-2006, 03:39 AM
1st Gear Member

markturbo Stock gearing for the WR250F is 13-52 same as the TTR250 and the WR450F We have had our Yamahas in excess of 75mph on the GPS they were not topped out wound out a bit, but not scary rpm,s All of these bikes out pulled me in a long up hill while I was on the KLX My WRName:  2005-12-29284.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  147.1 KBmy klxis this what your afterName:  2005-12-29456-1.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  112.2 KB

Quick Reply: I should have bought a WR?