I over-torqued a screw and it broke-in a bad spot

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 04:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Default I over-torqued a screw and it broke-in a bad spot

Not sure what to call it-but I think I can describe the location pretty easily.

You know the two screws holding in the front sprocket cover? You know the bottom one? Yeah that's not the screw I'm talking about. The one RIGHT below it. It looks like it hold the side case on. The sprocket cover plastic is acatually cut out around this screw. For some reason I unscrewed it while removing the sprocket cover. I went to put it back on...

Well, I over-torqued it, and the head came right off. Actually 3/4 of the thing came right out. Now I have a problem. Deep in that recessed hole is the rest of the screw. It's not stripped and it's just screwed in there with no bolt head.

4 questions

1. How do I remove it?
2. Where do I get a replacement?
2. Is there a danger of it working free and into the motor? No oil leaked and the side case seems very very secure still. I don't think it "connects" straight into the motor as that would seem kind of dumb for a cover screw.
3. What the heck is behind that cover?

My fuel screw and jet kit arrived yesterday. I want to do a total mod day and if I can fix this in the process then that'd be awesome.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok if its not stripped then take a punch or a small flat head or anything thin and sharp,, put it at an angle of the screw and take a small hammer and lightly tap the punch your using to jolt the screw out counterclockwise.... Just get a bite on the screw with the object your using,, its hard to explain this but hopefully you will get the picture... IF its not stripped it should turn right out...

Old 10-15-2008, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Ooh, that's gonna be tough... It's torqued tight and it's buried deep. I don't know any screw remover that'll work in that scenario. Ouch.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i hate to say it but the best thing might be removing the side cover of the motor, that way there is some side of the bolt showing, then you have more working area... maybe even grab it with vise grips....

Old 10-15-2008, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I guess I could always just sort of bore it out. Let it crumble to pieces. I really don't know how far to go though.

I think I will have to try and remove the side cover and see what that does.

I think I understand the punch method. But it's in all the way and...tight.

Maybe I'll worry about it when I need to remove the cover! Ha!

Old 10-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Don't drill it. Get the cover off like Eric said and then deal with it. The last thing you want to do on a bolt that small is to start drilling. You'll never get it centered, and the shavings will end up somewhere in a bad place. Good luck man.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Go to your local auto repair business (the guy who does YOUR vehicle work for you) and ask to borrow his left-hand drillbit set. It's Snap On #DBCL 105, if you want to purchase a set for yourself. Then set your drill to "reverse" direction (counter-clockwise) and start drilling. You MAY need to centerpunch the bolt (depending on how flat {or not} the protruding surface of the bolt is). The left-hand drillbit will sometimes simply turn the bolt out. If not, then drill it out (using a normal right-hand twist bit) and then get out your set of Easy-Outs. Simple!

Old 10-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

If its broke off way inside, then not only is it going to be hard to center punch that small of a bolt, but if you try to drill it out, chances are you're gonna drift off the bolt and into the case. Bad idea there. I'm just saying.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Easy outs for sure!! but you have to make sure the hole is centered pretty well on the stud. If you can get the case off all the better. Perhaps the stud will protrude from the threads with the case off.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
If its broke off way inside, then not only is it going to be hard to center punch that small of a bolt, but if you try to drill it out, chances are you're gonna drift off the bolt and into the case. Bad idea there. I'm just saying.
Yeah. . . I haven't looked at my bike. . . if that bolt is really small, not much chance of drilling and using an easy out. Still, the left-hand drillbit WILL pull it out IF (and I emphasize IF) the bolt is NOT stuck. I have pulled out inumerable bolts using this method!

Quick Reply: I over-torqued a screw and it broke-in a bad spot