i need help guys

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: i need help guys

Then again mine was done by a mechanic that is also a racer, so it might not be fair.[8D][8D][8D]

Old 05-29-2007, 05:27 PM

like u deej i didnt touch the smog stuff, at this point im just going to yank the carb again and throw the stock pilot back in. i am making a prediction right now.....this will be the 2nd carb removal and with my luck i forsee doing it about 6 or 7 more times to get this thing running right. im so happy with the carb designers, wow how did they come up with the idea for fully removing it from the bike to make any adjustments, that is freaking wonderful engineering. and i also gotta give a big shout out to the guys at kouba for sending me the wrong fuel screw, thanks guys! appreciate it.so im now looking at possibly a month of no riding

Old 05-30-2007, 01:38 AM
JB1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej
it has so much power, even with my weight I would challenge anyone to beat me in the 1/4 mile.
drag your azz to Houston...I'll race ya [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

Calisaki >>> Honestly from the trouble your describing, it doesnt sound like a jetting problem...sounds more like somethings screwed up with your install.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:50 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JB1

ORIGINAL: deej
it has so much power, even with my weight I would challenge anyone to beat me in the 1/4 mile.
drag your azz to Houston...I'll race ya [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

Calisaki >>> Honestly from the trouble your describing, it doesnt sound like a jetting problem...sounds more like somethings screwed up with your install.
Dude I would tear you a new one. And the caption would read, fat guy on a KLX wins 1/4 mile race against all odds. Ok maybe not. Hey my father-in-law lives in Houston. I went there once after my wife's family had been up here in Washington for 20 years, I walked off the plane and almost died. So due to my medical condition of not being able to ever go down there again I'll have to pass on the offer. Her dad moved back there a couple of years ago after him and her mom got divorced, she's going to go down there for a visit soon for a week and well you know what that means...........more riding time.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

During the NJ ride, Plameau ran a 2 brothers with a 130 main and 40 pilot with no airbox lid. He said he was going to drop to the 128 for the 2 brothers........that was his jetting for the Muzzy which he took off because it was too loud for state park regs. The 2 brothers just sneaks by in the decibel department. We were at sea level also. The higher your elevation the smaller your jets need to be because there is less oxygen in the air...........which means you need less fuel.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:52 AM

ok carb, is off the bike again. ive replaced the #40 pilot jet with the stock pilot, ive turned the air screw in from 2.5 to 1-3/4 turns. carb will go in tomomorow morning. when i started it the first time this morning it started with no choke and ran fine for 2 minutes......in fact sounded great...but as soon as i gently rolled on a little throttle it went sour and felt as if it was choking on fuel and no air, let off throttle and died. tried to start again and problem instanly there, no idle at all and very rough running and smokey exhaust. did the same thing when i started it tonight, ran great until i touched the throttle then ran like crap, it could be revved but would die if throttle was let go. so im thinking she needs less fuel definitley. it sure was faster removing the carb the second time thats for sure. so what im looking 4 is suggestions before i slap her back in.... do my calculations sound right or no? also a question....the clip on the needleif u put it on the top slot is that richer or is the bottom slot richer. does this pic look right? the needle is centered in the venturi so im assuming its right.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1706/ACC9E54C876745F48E8D1F150FF55539.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-30-2007, 01:39 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Move the clip down a notch to raise the needle, to richen the mixture. Move the clip up to lower the needle, to lean out the mixture.

Your set-up is very similar to mine and my bike runs/starts flawlessly.

This is what I have and I am mainly at sea level to about 1000'

125 main
40 pilot
Kouba FS 2-turns out
N1TC, clip on 2nd notch w/ collar
7/64" slide
Smog removed and capped
KDX snorkel
Stock muffler drilled all the way to the end(7") w/ 1/2" bit.

You have a slip-on which I am safely assuming flow more air than my modified stock muffler so your 128 main seems right.Looking at your specs, I see no flaws whatsoever with the 40 pilot, and the needle position which is identical to mine.

The problem has to be in the installation or a SNAFU during the installation.

First, check and make sure the spark plug is clean and fresh and not fouled from the poor running condition.
Did you cap all the vacuum holes during smog removal?
Did you soak the rubber diaghram in hot water topreventit from expanding?
Is the rubber diaghram ripped or distorted?
The needle should fall perfectly and snug into the hole. In factall the piecesshould fit just perfect and flawlessly without any extra effort. Does it?
Did you make sure no debris fell in the carb from the slide being drilled?
What about debris from drilling out the crancase vent?
Dothe float mechanism move flawlessly?
Since you have the carb out anyway, I would maybe soak and clean it with a good cleaner like Yamaha carb cleaner.

Good luck and post back and let us know how it goes.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Cali,

It sounds like your needle might not be seated into the needle jet (brass opening at bottom of venturi) all the way. You are exhibiting classic symtoms of that. It can still look 'centered in the venturi' but not be completely inserted. When you take the carb apart again, ensure that the needle is inserted to where the clip is completely snug against the top of the slide. Some of the Dynojet needles need a little persuasion with emery cloth before they willinsert completely.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:47 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Another thought - I wonder if maybe you have a small pinch hole in the diaphram? Did you have the top of the carb off to adjust the needle? The diaphram is fragile and easily damaged and even a pin-hole will cause problems similar to what you describe. I'd take out the diaphram and check it out very closely - could be it.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

While you're at it, take the choke plunger out and make sure nothing is keeping it from closing completely. I had a problem where the bike would idleerratically, and it would stall on hard stops. It turned out to be a piece of debris between the choke plunger and the carb body that kept theit from fully closing.

Quick Reply: i need help guys