I have a feeling something is wrong

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member
Default I have a feeling something is wrong

So recently I posted about hard starting. It still isn't starting unless I run it down the road and pock it into gear or after it's warmed up for a few miles. Anyway, I am noticing that it had a hissing sound when trying to start it. I noticed the connection where the radiator hose goes out the engine and to the radiator and how crappy a design it is. I show it there on the last pic the opening is three round sides and the connection fitting to the hose has one flat side that deosn't seal that well.

Well, when I removed it it was bone dry inside. This doesn't seem right to me. I am wondering whay after changing the radiator hoses that the fluid level didn't change from my reservoir. Is it possible that I have a clog?

And then, as the pictures are showing, I haev fluid seeping from the gasket on the engine. I know this can't be good and wondered if this is from oeverheating? Any insights here. i am not all the knowledgable about this bike but something doesn't seem quite right.

Attached Thumbnails I have a feeling something is wrong-img_2123.jpg   I have a feeling something is wrong-img_2124.jpg   I have a feeling something is wrong-img_2127.jpg   I have a feeling something is wrong-img_2128.jpg   I have a feeling something is wrong-img_2130.jpg  

Old 09-28-2010, 01:03 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Interesting. On the oil leak at what appears to be coming from the valve cover, is this an '09? I hear many of the '09 folks talking about some of the valve cover gaskets being a fairly normal leak area...bad run of '09 gaskets or such.

Your coolant deal is odd...need some more info. Is the hose you pulled loose for inspection really "bone dry" or just void of any measureable coolant? I'm not exactly understanding the "unround" aspect of the fitting you're describing. I swear that mine was round on that engine fitting. Is it possible that the fitting has been crushed in some way? Even then, unless it's crushed closed or almost closed, you should get "some" coolant flow anyway.

Have you been riding this bike this way? How long? Any boil overs? Is water visibly moving in the top of the radiator when you look in the cap hole with the cap off?...carefully of course. Did you "burp" the cooling system when you swapped hoses and seviced the coolant? Did you pull out the thermostat and reinstall it during any of this process?

Old 09-28-2010, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Red face

I think you should have some one really look at this bike. It would not run if it has no coolant circulating. It should start from cold or warm. Where ya from?

David

Old 09-28-2010, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks like it may have got hot (no coolant.) May need someone to look at the top end, may need a service (ie valve stem seals and a good look at the cams.) Sorry to be the barer or bad news.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Have a look in the radiator. Is there antifreeze in it? If not top it up. Is the oil milky?
Have you changed the jetting? Played with the fuel pilot screw? Try adjusting the idle screw in a half turn.See if it starts any better. Once it is started run it for a bit and then shut it off after a brief warm up and check the antifreeze level again. The oil leaks are no big deal at this point unless you are related to Deej. You should see the the side of my bike after my last trip!! One of those leak photos does't look very oilish if you know what I mean. That is why you should check to see if the oil is milky. If it isn't then thats good.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

1. the starting issue has nothing to do with the gasket or the coolant loss (unless its a head gasket, then my question is how the f did you manage that).

2. the gasket is a known problem, order another and use a bit of black rtv on the half moons. problem solved. (also on this note, dont over tighten the bolts for the valve cover, its only 8 lbs!)

3. top off the coolant, check again after about 100 miles of what you normally ride, if its missing again you have a problem. probably just over heated the bike once, puked some coolant, and have been low ever since.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member
Default it runs great just doesn't start and gets really hot

Let's see if I can answer all the questions. First, my bike is an 07.

I did not burp anything when I changed out the radiator hoses. I did just open the radiator cap and I can see antifreeze in there but not enough to cover up the elements inside the radiator.

I ran it at 75 to 80 mph today for about 30 miles or so. I do feel like I have lost a little power but not much really, it might have just been the wind today.

So that last picture the side that is not seen which is in the inside of the elbow is a straight line between the bolts insteas of a semir circle like between the other bolts. Becuase of this, the seal isn't as good there and I could hear air leaking from that spot when trying to start the motor.

If major damage is a possiblity then maybe the big bore kit is going to happen sooner then later since I may have to pull the engine apart anyway.

I have rejetted the bike with a Big Gun exhaust. My bike now has 4000 miles on it. The rejet happened after about 500 or so. SO what so you think?

Old 09-28-2010, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by punkenduro09
... probably just over heated the bike once, puked some coolant, and have been low ever since.
Looks to me like he may have run it dry (a little more than just a puke from the coolant res'.) If that pipe is dry then there is no coolant whatsoever in the left rad' (the larger of the 2) and I suspect very little circulating the bore and ore importantly the cylinder head. Metal has a much higher tolerance to damage from heat than rubber, so the rubber parts are the one that fail first (gaskets, seals.) Valve stem seals are very easy to replace and cheap too, as is the rubber cam cover gasket, cams on the other hand are not.

It is worth an inspection at least as you'll have the cover of the head to replace the gasket.

Running it, even with fresh coolant and oil may cause more damage.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX

Running it, even with fresh coolant and oil may cause more damage.
West,
Why is this the case? Is this assuming the cams may be damaged. If they are not then I should be okay, is this correct?

Old 09-28-2010, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dacoontz
.....inside of the elbow is a straight line between the bolts insteas of a semir circle like between the other bolts. Becuase of this, the seal isn't as good there and I could hear air leaking from that spot when trying to start the motor.

If major damage is a possiblity then maybe the big bore kit is going to happen sooner then later since I may have to pull the engine apart anyway.
1.This needs fixing. You can't run a bike that is losing coolant.

2. The big bore kit will not fix the components in the head if it's been damaged.

3. If you did "cook it" a little, then fresh oil in the engine would be prudent.

Quick Reply: I have a feeling something is wrong