I drank the Orange kool-aid...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 03:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Just giving you a hard time. I do like that style, just not a big Harly fan. I am planning on getting a Motoguzzi V7 or Triumph Bonneville.
The closes to a Harly would be a Buell for me.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmott426
Just giving you a hard time. I do like that style, just not a big Harly fan. I am planning on getting a Motoguzzi V7 or Triumph Bonneville.
I used to hate them, but they are quite nice. I still have to ride a vulcan 900 to really see how I feel (I'm a big kawi fan).

Old 05-11-2014, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member

FYI. The sportster is 46 HP and the Boniville has 60.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member

If I really had the cash I'd get a Victory hammer ball.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the new bike!

Old 05-11-2014, 01:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmott426
The V7 is the old small block - not that great a performer. If you find a model you like using the old big block, like a Griso, go that way for a stronger engine. Not fast, that's for the sportbikes, but the Guzzi is way cool. I had one for a while back in the late 70s early 80s. Wanted a LeMans, but had an 850-T, not that great, but still fun engine.

With a Guzzi you definitely stand out from the crowd. People just don't know what to think. I love the splayed cylinders from the "sideways" V-twin. And what a thump for an exhaust note!

Old 05-11-2014, 02:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
I used to hate them, but they are quite nice. I still have to ride a vulcan 900 to really see how I feel (I'm a big kawi fan).

The 800 custom is a really great layout, with pipes it sounds like a cross between an XR750 dirt tracker and a Sportster. The great part is it is a strong performer as Kawasaki tends to leave the performance in their cruisers.

The stock bike doesn't look initially current with the marshmallow like seat and the older real custom look, but it has a great soft tail look on par with Harley and the engine looks right, except for the air filter set up. A great platform that can be had on the cheap compared to any other custom.

Stock:

Modified a bit:

or a lot:

Or you can screw around with the fat tired Classic:

So if it isn't about the name on the tank for status and one likes Kawasakis the potential is absolutely there...

One parting shot:

It still actually has the rear suspension. It was modeled after former Cycle World editor David Edwards' actual early Indian custom. Go here to see more, click on the pictures - one of Denny Berg's incredible customs.

Last edited by klx678; 05-11-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Powderaddict
Congrats on the new bike!

It was only a test ride

Originally Posted by klx678
The 800 custom is a really great layout, with pipes it sounds like a cross between an XR750 dirt tracker and a Sportster. The great part is it is a strong performer as Kawasaki tends to leave the performance in their cruisers.
I'm actually in the process of restoring (making run) my fiance's uncle's 1986 vn750. He loved this bike, he took it apart to fix the radiator fan when he was diagnosed with cancer, he died a couple years later. The bike was then taken from california here to nevada so my fiance could ride it (before I bought her the xt225), but there it sat for another few years. I decided to do my best to fix her up (money permitting) in honor of her uncle. The bike has been sitting for 6 years...If I can get it to run and I don't have to worry about changing out the stator or the driveshaft I might just ride this puppy around. But at the same time, I don't want to drop $1000 into the bike, it has 26k miles.

Name:  photo4-1.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  121.8 KB

Name:  photo22.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  94.4 KB

Name:  photo12.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  114.1 KB

Name:  photo31.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  64.3 KB

This got me interested in cruisers since I've only ever had my eye on dual sports. I'm lookin at buying the new vulcan 900 custom, harley sportster 1200, or (in my dreams) a victory vegas 8 ball.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:50 PM
1st Gear Member

"But at the same time, I don't want to drop $1000 into the bike, it has 26k miles."

Just nicely broken in. Looks to be worth investing some time/money.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
"But at the same time, I don't want to drop $1000 into the bike, it has 26k miles."

Just nicely broken in. Looks to be worth investing some time/money.
I would agree, except being a full time college student, it would be for me to justify such a project. I would like to get it running, but probably can't afford a full resto at this time. If I manage to get a job, then I think the money would be better spend investing in a new bike as it would be my only transportation.

Putting all that aside, I'm worried the stator may be bad, and removal of the stator requires engine removal. I don't have the tools nor the garage for that sort of job. From what I've read after I obtained the bike, common engine maintenance requires engine removal. Yuck.

Quick Reply: I drank the Orange kool-aid...