I called the shop

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 03:05 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default I called the shop

Well because I have such a great relationship with the shop where I bought the KLX and the XT I decided that I just couldn't take it anymore, I need to find out what the noise in my engine was. I know there is already a thread under this subject, but it got jacked, and is buried too far for anyone to care. Anyway I called and asked for the owner, who I saw out here in Forks on Monday after the drag races. I told him about the noise and asked if Joe was there. Joe is the mechanic that did the jetting and pipe on my bike, he also races himself and from what I've been told is top notch when it comes to bikes. The owner asked him a couple of questions and relayed the answers to me, I was all ready to start the bike and hold the cell phone (Blackberry in this case) so that Joe could listen, but the owner said he had his hands full but offered to take a look at it in the morning for me. Yea that's right owner to mechanic to deej all in one phone call, Well the shop is an hour away, and we were going there in the morning anyway, so instead of the family car, it will be the Dodge truck. I am going to haul it in so he can hear it from cold start up when the noise is the loudest. The owner did say it could be the compression release hanging up, not sure what that is but we'll find out tomorrow. By Sunday afternoon I should at least have it fixed, diagnosed, or what have you and I will report back here asap.

Old 09-16-2006, 03:12 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I called the shop

good luck bro, im still interested on this subject cause my bike is still at the dealer, looks like im waitin til monday to hear whats wrong with it.... bastards... hope its just the oil in your case, i dont think im gonna be that lucky

Old 09-16-2006, 03:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Well I am going to take a quart of the oil I went to, but I really don't think its the oil, I mean it a tapping sounds that sounds like someone banging a wrench on a steel pipe. Oh and get this I heard that once you go synthetic you shouldn't go back to regular oil, anyone heard of this?[&:]

Old 09-16-2006, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Nope, never heard of it but I personally wouldnt do it Unless there was a reason like breaking in a new 300cc Cylinder.
Besides most people who run Synthetic do so for a reason. They believe it increases the life of the motor and once you make the decision to go Synthetic you shouldnt go back.

LV

Old 09-16-2006, 04:07 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LordVngr
Nope, never heard of it but I personally wouldnt do it Unless there was a reason like breaking in a new 300cc Cylinder.
Heeey, I did that. From all the research I've done on that subject, nobody recommends using synthetic during break-in because its so slick. Break-in is all about friction and grinding those parts together until they are fitting oh so close. That's why I switched back to non-synth, anyway. But I haven't gone back to synthetic after the 300cc upgrade and it's just as well since I'm on the path to overbore yet again so I'll be breaking in yet another cylinder soon.

Old 09-16-2006, 04:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I mentioned in a post the other day I thought it could be the compression release but not sure seeing I have not had mine apart. But it is the only mechanical part in the top end that could make a ticking noise like being described. Will be nice to find out what it is.......

Old 09-16-2006, 04:20 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Here's a so-so shot. Compression release is on the left - on the end of the exhaust cam.

Old 09-16-2006, 06:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Well I'm heading in to the shop in the early am, and just like when you go to the doctor and make sure you have clean underwear or to the dentist and you brush like 5 times, I had to make sure the KLX was clean, maintained and ready for inspection. I cleaned the air filter, oiled the chain, which I don't do very often,(because it was dry and I hate the mess) and I finally got the spark plug out after 3300 miles, take a look and let me know what you guys think. 2700 miles without mods, and 600 after the muzzy, jetting and air box cover off. Well I will talk to you guys later. Oh wait in the second picture you will see what I use on the air filter to oil it, and the last time I was at the shop I picked up a cleaner for the foam filter, and I have to say this stuff is the BOMB!!! (if they indeed still say the bomb) Anyway both products are great. The cleaner made the filter look brand spanking new.

Old 09-16-2006, 07:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Heeey, I did that. From all the research I've done on that subject, nobody recommends using synthetic during break-in because its so slick. Break-in is all about friction and grinding those parts together until they are fitting oh so close. That's why I switched back to non-synth, anyway. But I haven't gone back to synthetic after the 300cc upgrade and it's just as well since I'm on the path to overbore yet again so I'll be breaking in yet another cylinder soon.
Funny thing that. I always assumed that synth in a brandy new motor was a no-no. That was until I bought my Triumph. They ship with synth from the factory. So do Corvettes. Must not be that bad for break in.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bmwhd
Funny thing that. I always assumed that synth in a brandy new motor was a no-no. That was until I bought my Triumph. They ship with synth from the factory. So do Corvettes. Must not be that bad for break in.
Hmmm ... very interesting. I wonder if these are break-in specific formulations? Or maybe it really doesn't matter.

Quick Reply: I called the shop