Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   How to remove a chain link... (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/how-remove-chain-link-15900/)

BlueDream 09-26-2007 10:04 AM

RE: How to remove a chain link...

Ok I managed to get the chain off without any special tools, there was a link that had like a special pin on it that slides off then you can seperate the chain.

I will give it a wash and measure it, see how it compares to what the manufacturer states....

Now all I need to do is align the rear wheel... As it was wobbling all over the place before I pulled the chain off.... Any ideas on aligning the rear wheel?

tremor38 09-26-2007 10:10 AM

ORIGINAL: BlueDream

Ok I managed to get the chain off without any special tools, there was a link that had like a special pin on it that slides off then you can seperate the chain.

I will give it a wash and measure it, see how it compares to what the manufacturer states....

Now all I need to do is align the rear wheel... As it was wobbling all over the place before I pulled the chain off.... Any ideas on aligning the rear wheel?

Just put the lugs snug against those snail adjusters and tightenthenut/bolt combdownwhen you put it back, making sure you have the same setting on each adjuster....if I understand you question correctly.

HawaiiRider 09-26-2007 10:14 AM

If the two Snails are on the exact same number the axle should be straight. It sounds like you might have a bent rim? Is the tire wobble visual (just looking at it on the stand and spinning it with your hand) or when you're riding.

BlueDream 09-26-2007 11:36 AM

I pushed the wheel snug up against the adjusters...

I'll take it for a spin tomorrow once my chain is back on the bike and see if the wobble is still their.... It could be a buckled rim, but it wasn't wobbling before...

I'll check it out tomorrow.

KLXer 09-26-2007 12:45 PM

I dont condone removing a link to solve a worn chain but to remover a link:

You dont need a breaker. Just grind the head of the pins off, then pop the side plate out.

Kawi Wawi 09-26-2007 01:36 PM

Simple test... When the chain is on the bike, grab it at the back of the rear sprocket and pull... If you can pull the links more than 50% off of the sprocket teeth, then your chain is over-stretched and needs to be replaced.

UTRoss 09-26-2007 04:53 PM

Is this horse still alive...more beatings....

Based on my moutain bike experience, I'd have to say replace the chain. A chain stretched that much is not going to be "repaired" by link removal. If you are at the farthest adjustment point on the wheel, and its still too loose, then you need a new one. Shortening the chain to take up the slack doesn't change the fact that its stretched, and a streched chain can't possible sync up with your chainrings optimally - it likely wouldlead to excessive wear on the sprockets, or maybe something worse?? (chain failure/breakage)??

hoedogg 09-26-2007 05:19 PM

breaking chains could be really bad:eek:

BlueDream 09-27-2007 09:18 AM

Hi all, well it certainly looks like I've got a small buckle in the rim of the rear wheel. It's not to bad and hardly noticeable when you ride, you can only feel it when you start going a bit faster.

For this weekend it will be fine thou, once we get back I'll look at investing in a good second hand rim and a new chain and sprockets for it.... $$$$ ouch..

tremor38 09-27-2007 11:35 AM

+1. That's the best way I've found. I'll be replacing both sprockets and chain this weekend. With my steet tires I can also hear the difference when the chain starts going bad.

ORIGINAL: Kawi Wawi

Simple test... When the chain is on the bike, grab it at the back of the rear sprocket and pull... If you can pull the links more than 50% off of the sprocket teeth, then your chain is over-stretched and needs to be replaced.