How to remove a chain link...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 04:29 AM
1st Gear Member
Default How to remove a chain link...

I'm not trying to remove a link from my KLX 250 but from a TTR-125.

It is a stock chain and I noticed the other day that it is quite loose, so I think I need to remove a link from the chain, unless I pull back the rear wheel I guess.... But removing a link sounds easier...

Are there special tools that I need?

Can you do it without these special tools, as I'd prefer not to buy some more tools....

Old 09-26-2007, 04:35 AM
Default RE: How to remove a chain link...

Just slide the rear wheel back. That's what you're supposed to do.
Does it have a "snail" on each side of the swingarm at the rear axle, or a bolt with a nut to the forward?

Also check this link;
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_71060/tm.htm

Old 09-26-2007, 04:36 AM

P.S. You need a Chain Breaker to remove a link. (For what I know, I've actually never done that)

Old 09-26-2007, 04:45 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey BlueDream, how do you know it needs to have a link taken out? It may just need to be adjusted a little. Do you have the book on the bike?

If this is your bike, you have adjusters that are similar to the KLX in that you loosen the axle nut and then tap the adjusters to the next notch and then check the chain slack. Remember that there is supposed to be an inch and a half or so of chain slack so when the suspension is compressed your chain doesn't' get too tight. Let us know if you need further assistance.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 09-26-2007, 05:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, its my bike. I'll check for those adjusters....

Old 09-26-2007, 05:49 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

BlueDream, if you are happy with your suspension setup now, you can try moving the distance back but pay attention. But resetting the suspension may or may not be in order for your comfort level if you lengthen the wheelbase.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok cool it's got those little adjusters, I have only one more notch on it to slide the wheel back...

I had a quick look and it looks like I need to do three things...

Loosen the bolt that stops the rear brake lever from coming up (as I'm sliding the bike back it looks like the rear brake lever will come up a bit)

Loosen both bolts on the wheel and adjust the 'snails'...

Do the manufacturers usually have a specification for how much these should be tightened..? ie... should I use a torque wrench to tighten them back up or should I just tighten them as much as I feel?

Old 09-26-2007, 06:14 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Do the manufacturers usually have a specification for how much these should be tightened..? ie... should I use a torque wrench to tighten them back up or should I just tighten them as much as I feel?
Of course they do.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:32 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

Of course they do.
LOL...

Well, I adjusted it and it looks like I prolly need a new chain. There is still way to much play in it..

Unless I can remove a link.... But I think the chain has had it, it is on it's last snail adjustment and there is still about 2 inches of play in the chain..

The other thing is that I guess it's out of alignment now because it wobbles like nothing else... Is there an easy way to get it aligned... I figured the 'snails' would align it correctly....

Old 09-26-2007, 09:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, like the rest say, try adjusting the rear wheel back, but I'd like to add something. either your chain was mis-adusted in the first place or has stretched to the point where it's 'quite loose' Chain life is normally around 10,000-12000 miles for an O-ring type.

Quick Reply: How to remove a chain link...