Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   How much horsepower is the 300CC kit supposed to net? (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/how-much-horsepower-300cc-kit-supposed-net-7314/)

Nobrakes 10-10-2006 08:11 AM

RE: How much horsepower is the 300CC kit supposed to net?

ORIGINAL: neilaction
2 Questions.

1. The carb upgrade alone. How much did it add and do you think it was worth it?
Haven't got it yet. Vendor says its back-ordered and hopefully I should see something in a few weeks.

2. What single "mod" gave the biggest improvement?
I think the improvements I saw after the carb jetting + airbox + pipe mods were very nice as was the 300 cc upgrade, but I'd say the 300cc upgrade made a bigger difference from what I can tell. But, like I mentioned above, I think you need to also do the jetting to realize the potential of the 300 upgrade. If you install the 300 first, and later do the jetting, I would suspect one might say the jetting was the biggest improvement, simply due to the ordering of the changes.

The gearing change was also a nice improvement, but I didn't keep it so I won't list that. I'd compare the 300cc upgrade to being similar to moving to 14:49 gearing, but without the too high of RPMs at cruising speed associated with the gearing change. Not everyone has an issue with the higher RPMs at speed, but it bothered me.

neilaction 10-10-2006 08:31 AM

[/quote]

The gearing change was also a nice improvement, but I didn't keep it so I won't list that. I'd compare the 300cc upgrade to being similar to moving to 14:49 gearing, but without the too high of RPMs at cruising speed associated with the gearing change. Not everyone has an issue with the higher RPMs at speed, but it bothered me.

[/quote]

I'm with you in regards to the gearing.
Nothing for nothing heh!

I'm hoping the extra power, and importantly, torque I will get from the various mods will mean I won't feel the need to lower the gearing to achieve a bit more '"snap".
I sometimes look for a 7th gear as it is.

But it's a mod that's high on the "must do" list for most people.
I'm heartened to hear that you tried it and are going back.

MaverickAus 10-10-2006 09:35 AM

When I got my 300 kit I rang Kawasaki Australia in response to enquiries from people asking me about it, They said it was $600 Aus and the kit part number is in the parts section sticky. I don't think the kit is still available from Kawasaki Aus but of course individual parts would be I assume.

Cheers

neilaction 10-10-2006 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: MaverickAus

When I got my 300 kit I rang Kawasaki Australia in response to enquiries from people asking me about it, They said it was $600 Aus and the kit part number is in the parts section sticky. I don't think the kit is still available from Kawasaki Aus but of course individual parts would be I assume.

Cheers
That makes sense Garry,
The parts guy said Kawasaki Australia is out of kits as such and are making up kits using parts.
That price i quoted earlier is hot off the press.

Still not too bad given you get a new jug!

Cheers

Marty 10-10-2006 09:51 PM

What kinds of power increase can we expect from the 300 and later 330 upgrades?

Wow, what a loaded question.

Let me start by saying this is all speculation, conjecture and semi-scientific wizardry!

The tester over at HMF did some dyno testing - some of the only figures I have seen published. When he did the article on the KLX250S slip on from HMF. This is what he published:

HMF slip on Horsepower. 20.8.
HMF slip on Torque. 14.7.

all stock Horsepower. 18.3.
all stock Torque 13.0

To accomplish this he changed the following:

125 main jet.
40 pilot.
Shim needle .032
2.0 fuel screw.
Remove the snorkel from the airbox lid.
and of course, installed the HMF slip on can for the KLX250.

So, net gains were 2.5 horsepower and 1.7 foot pounds of torque.

That equates to an 18% increase in horsepower and a 13% increase in torque. Now, let's do some extrapolation on those numbers.

With a 300 kit, assuming the same level of tune - 24.3 horsepower and 17.2 foot pounds of torque.

With a 330 kit, once again assuming the same level of tune - 27.6 horsepower and 19.5 foot pounds of torque.

While on the totem pole of power, that might seem insignificant, but let's look at it from a stock verses final(?) configuration.

You're talking almost a 51% increase in horsepower and a 50% increase in torque. That is quite significant.

That type of increase, coupled with the extra torque multiplication felt with the lower gearing will make all the difference in "seat of the pants" or "Butt Dyno" readings.

I'm impressed. The KLX250S is now an awesome bike. I'll bet that the front end will rise to the occasion any time that it is asked to do so.

Now, I would love to have Nobrakes put his bike on a dyno once all the work is done. I would like to see just how close I came.

Nobrakes 10-10-2006 11:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Marty
With a 330 kit, once again assuming the same level of tune - 27.6 horsepower and 19.5 foot pounds of torque.

I'm impressed. The KLX250S is now an awesome bike. I'll bet that the front end will rise to the occasion any time that it is asked to do so.

Now, I would love to have Nobrakes put his bike on a dyno once all the work is done. I would like to see just how close I came.
That follows along pretty close with what I was thinking above, thanks for the educated speculation ;) Once I get the carb in, if/when, and I get the 330cc installed, my plan is indeed to do a dyno check and see where it is at. BTW, another person dyno'd their stock KLX250S and reported it over on advrider.com and it showed 16.9 HP so there may be some variation in starting points, either in the bikes themselves or the dynonometer machines used to test with may have some calibration variations.

But regardless of the actual HP, I'm 99% sure the 330 kit is going to make me very happy based on my experience with the 300 kit. The verdict is still out on the pumper carb, I'll just have to see the effects of riding with that to pass judgement. Of course I will report here on it.

MaverickAus 10-11-2006 10:00 AM

Anyone know of a free dyno here in Coffs Harbour? [8D]

GreenKLX 10-11-2006 11:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes
That follows along pretty close with what I was thinking above, thanks for the educated speculation ;) Once I get the carb in, if/when, and I get the 330cc installed, my plan is indeed to do a dyno check and see where it is at. BTW, another person dyno'd their stock KLX250S and reported it over on advrider.com and it showed 16.9 HP so there may be some variation in starting points, either in the bikes themselves or the dynonometer machines used to test with may have some calibration variations.

But regardless of the actual HP, I'm 99% sure the 330 kit is going to make me very happy based on my experience with the 300 kit. The verdict is still out on the pumper carb, I'll just have to see the effects of riding with that to pass judgement. Of course I will report here on it.
Which pumper did you go with?

Nobrakes 10-11-2006 04:38 PM

Keihin 35mm FCR, no choke, from Four Stroke Works, http://www.fourstrokeworks.com/ , click "Product Catalogue", then "Airflow / Intake / Exhaust", then scroll down down a little.

tremor38 10-11-2006 06:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Marty

What kinds of power increase can we expect from the 300 and later 330 upgrades?

Wow, what a loaded question.

Let me start by saying this is all speculation, conjecture and semi-scientific wizardry!

The tester over at HMF did some dyno testing - some of the only figures I have seen published. When he did the article on the KLX250S slip on from HMF. This is what he published:

HMF slip on Horsepower. 20.8.
HMF slip on Torque. 14.7.

all stock Horsepower. 18.3.
all stock Torque 13.0

To accomplish this he changed the following:

125 main jet.
40 pilot.
Shim needle .032
2.0 fuel screw.
Remove the snorkel from the airbox lid.
and of course, installed the HMF slip on can for the KLX250.

So, net gains were 2.5 horsepower and 1.7 foot pounds of torque.

That equates to an 18% increase in horsepower and a 13% increase in torque. Now, let's do some extrapolation on those numbers.

With a 300 kit, assuming the same level of tune - 24.3 horsepower and 17.2 foot pounds of torque.

While on the totem pole of power, that might seem insignificant, but let's look at it from a stock verses final(?) configuration.

You're talking almost a 51% increase in horsepower and a 50% increase in torque. That is quite significant.

That type of increase, coupled with the extra torque multiplication felt with the lower gearing will make all the difference in "seat of the pants" or "Butt Dyno" readings.

Those numbers look very close, Sir! My compliments.

I was looking at some dyno runs on D-tracker mods that came pretty close to what you wrote. This testing was done by an indepent firm (the author of the book). His improvements overlapped, so you can't really tell what single thing had the most profound effect, but here's what I remember:

- First mod: Adding Pre 2001 CDI resulted in an increase of 0.5HP..whoopie!
-Second Mod: He adds 300cc Jug, less restrictive exhaust, high flow inlet duct and dials in the jetting for an increase of 5HP over stock.
-Third mod: He installs a 315cc kit made by Beet Japan. The kit also includes mild grind cam shafts. As a bonus, he throws on a Mikuni TMR-MJN34 pumper carb (it's a Japanese thang...Cadillac of carbs for this bike, IMO!). HP reading on Dyno was 28.

I believe his baseline run with prior to any of the mods showed 19HP, so we're talking about an increase of 9hp after all is said and done. While that doesn't look like much, you will definitely feel a big difference on this bike. Also remember that we've reached this point without increasing the compression ratio one bit.