How much horsepower is the 300CC kit supposed to net?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 03:34 AM
Default How much horsepower is the 300CC kit supposed to net?

Just curious if anyone has a dyno on it yet...

Came up in a discussion between my father and I, Wondering what the increase in zip would be.

Im sure its better than the 3,000 dollar big bore kit for his 07 Ultra Glide

Old 10-10-2006, 03:48 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: How much horsepower is the 300CC kit supposed to net?

I wish I knew. After I get my 330cc on and new carb I plan to do a dyno check, but that will be cumulative for all my mods.

I asked this question in another thread, i.e., after all the mods so far including carb + airbox + pipe, 330 cc upgrade, etc, etc, what would folks think the increase in HP would be. I was hoping to hear from some folks with experience in that area such as maybe Bad Bear with his years of dragster work and Marty with his. But anyone is free to offer up what knowledge they have of course. I just don't have the experience to make an educated guess. My "uneducated" guess would be that we'd be around an 8 to 10 HP gain with everything so far, including bore size increase. I think the pipe and carb gives around 2 or 3 max.

Just for reference though, the fellow that is doing the "Dirt Bike Television" show dyno'd their KLX250S when it was bone stock and it came out to a whopping 16.9 HP. Pretty pathetic [&:]

I think I will e-mail him and as if they dyno'd after their pipe upgrade and see what he says ... if I get an answer, I'll be sure and let you know.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:44 AM
1st Gear Member

My 300cc kit is being fitted as we speak and should be ready tomorrow.

I'm will be interested to see what the difference will be given the rest of the bike is stock.
I doubt I will get it on a dyno so my results will be feel as apposed to fact.

Then will come pipe, jetting, airbox etc.
(because I arranged the 300cc kit to be fitted at the first service as part of my original deal, I didn't want to alter the bike too much until the dealer has finished)

I don't think I will be doing the carby swap for a while even though I hear it's one of the mods that has a reasonable effect on performance.
We will see.

I think if the hp can be pushed up to around 22 or so, I'll probably be happy.
mmmm Being content. mmmmm
Knowing me that's not very likely.

I will be able to give you my opinion on the 300cc kit on a stock bike this weekend.

Oh and while we are on the subject, the 300cc kit is available here as a complete kit.
The dealers are using as a promotion with the 250.
I paid about $A500. That's about $385 in your money.
Is that cheap? I seemed cheap to me.

The dealer I used is
http://www.mack1.com.au/
If anyone is interested I can look into it a bit further.

Cheers

Old 10-10-2006, 04:53 AM

Sounds way cheap to me.

Even a seat of the pants feel would be good... 2-3 ponies is about right for the carb job/pipe according to HMF's results on the dyno. If the 300 feels roughly the same, that would be good enough for me... Put it about 6 ponies... Im sure a gearing change would make the dyno results look a little better as well.

Would the pumper carb the same performance boost to the 250 as the 300? At least, in anyone's opinon?

Old 10-10-2006, 04:54 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey neilaction, I wonder how much the 300cc is going to help a stock bike? I would think you'd really need to get that jetting fixed up before you'll really see the potential of the 300 kit since the bike is so stopped up on both ends from the beginning. I could be wrong - but I'd do the jetting, airbox, and free pipe mods ASAP if I were you. I hope it helps, though!

Old 10-10-2006, 04:58 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IchWarriorMkII
2-3 ponies is about right for the carb job/pipe according to HMF's results on the dyno. If the 300 feels roughly the same, that would be good enough for me... Put it about 6 ponies...
I'd say it's in that ballpark, judging by feel. And by those results that I felt with the 300, I'm assuming going to 330 will feel like 2-3 more. That's where I'm coming up with around 8-10 total as my guess.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:52 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Hey neilaction, I wonder how much the 300cc is going to help a stock bike? I would think you'd really need to get that jetting fixed up before you'll really see the potential of the 300 kit since the bike is so stopped up on both ends from the beginning. I could be wrong - but I'd do the jetting, airbox, and free pipe mods ASAP if I were you. I hope it helps, though!
I think you are right Brian.
And those "breathing" mods will be done soon.

Because i worked a deal which included the dealer fitting the 300cc kit, I have left the bike standard for the time being.
I didn't want the dealer to have any chance to reneg on our deal at the time of purchase.
Not that I have any reason to think he would by the way.
They have been very good to deal with.

I will still report on the result just to add to the pool of knowledge in a small way.

Cheers

Old 10-10-2006, 07:01 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I'm sure it will be an improvement. I'm dying here waiting on my 330 parts. I'm expecting them not this Friday, but the next if I'm lucky. And if I'm lucky, I'll have the weekend to install it and by that time doc says I can starting doing more with my shoulder which I interpret as riding.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:08 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

I'm sure it will be an improvement. I'm dying here waiting on my 330 parts. I'm expecting them not this Friday, but the next if I'm lucky. And if I'm lucky, I'll have the weekend to install it and by that time doc says I can starting doing more with my shoulder which I interpret as riding.

Heh Brian.

2 Questions.

1. The carb upgrade alone. How much did it add and do you think it was worth it?
2. What single "mod" gave the biggest improvement?

OK 3.

3. Did fitting the FCR have much effect on fuel economy?

Cheers

Old 10-10-2006, 07:19 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IchWarriorMkII

Sounds way cheap to me.

OK,

It did sound too cheap so I phoned the dealer and the complete kit bought on it's own costs $A718.74c or about $550 US.
I think I could get him down a bit.
The $500 I quoted before must have been the price as part of the whole deal.
I paid just under $A8000 or $6150 US, for the bike, 300cc kit fitted, barkbuster handguards and 12 months rego.

The kit include everything you need including gaskits.

Cheers

Quick Reply: How much horsepower is the 300CC kit supposed to net?