How long does your air filter last?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default How long does your air filter last?

I just bought a new No-Toil air filter (surprised to find it cheaper than online, at the local shop, $21 ) I already have a no toil filter, and i think its at least 2 yrs old. I thought that was a respectable lifespan. It's probably been cleaned about 6 times. Number of times cleaned might be a better yardstick for filter lifespan. I thought I'd post on here and see how long different brands have lasted you guys. Maybe I should have tried a different brand??
Give us your brand of filter the actual timespan you used it and then aprox how many times it was cleaned.

No-Toil about 2yrs old cleaned about 6 times. outer foam starting to split at seams.

Thanks Dan

Old 09-18-2010, 12:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I haven't really gotten my Twin Air filter dirty, yet. So if ride on tarmat mostly, you may not need to clean the filter until like 3years later or 5k miles. It really depends on your riding area.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Rotated 3 Twin Air filters over the last 2.5 years. Still intact and no delamination at the seams. I feel 2.5 years is a good life span given the amount of cleaning and use the filters have had. Cleaned at least 12 times each filter. Initially used Kerosine to clean filters and used Turps for the last year as the Kero' ran out. It's not a good idea to use petrol to clean foam filters as it can cause premature breakdown of the filter seams.

Just got a No Toil and am trialing it at the moment. If it works out I'll purchase 2 more and rotate them (3 total.)

Here is a good guide how to clean filters quick and easily. Have used this method since I purchased the bike new.

Attached Thumbnails How long does your air filter last?-img_air_filter2_4.jpg  
Old 09-18-2010, 02:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm assuming turps is Turpentine ?

I've used Kerosene in the past but don't have any right now and i can get turpentine at the local store no prob. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't some Aussie thing that is totally different and wreck my filter using the wrong stuff.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Where's the rest of the steps to an aussie cleaned filter? The oiling part is where most goof it up. Anybody can clean a filter.

I've used actual gasoline on twin-airs for many years. The last bike had at least 5 years and 20 cleanings on the same twin air filter using gasoline and bel-ray blue filter oil.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Turps to clean and re-oil.
After every off road ride. 2 rides max.

Maybe a bit much but I run no air box lid and it gets dirty reasonably easy.

As for changing it, not until it shows signs of wear.
Maybe a small cut usually around the seal area.

And I still apply grease around the seal area.
Don't know if its necessary or not but old habits............

Old 09-18-2010, 03:23 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
Where's the rest of the steps to an aussie cleaned filter? The oiling part is where most goof it up. Anybody can clean a filter.

I've used actual gasoline on twin-airs for many years. The last bike had at least 5 years and 20 cleanings on the same twin air filter using gasoline and bel-ray blue filter oil.
I'm sure Al Gore will have a fit, but I also use gasoline to get the oil out then soapy water to get the rest of the dirt out. Most of these quality foam filter oils are so tacky and sticky, I haven't found any detergent or other cleaner that gets it out better than gas. Oh...and I use rubber gloves that are fuel resistant. Then I bottle up the gassy oil mix and mail it to Al Gore.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Then I bottle up the gassy oil mix and mail it to Al Gore.
No wonder his house is notorius for being energy in-efficient.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:01 AM
1st Gear Member

No Toil oil and cleaner is the best- and one of the safest for the environment!

I change and my filter every ride some times at the mid point of an enduro. My twin air is still going strong after 50+ cleanings, My no toil started to look funny after 25-30 cleanings.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I bought a high flow air filter for my klx back in 06 when I rejetted the carb, removed the airbox lid and put on my Muzzy.

After over 22k miles and 4.5 years of hard dusty, sandy Florida riding....it still looks brand new and has a lifetime warranty.....if it ever needs to be replaced...I'll get a new one FREE.

So what air filter is this??

hmmmm,,,,,,,

I wonder? ................

Yup.....K&N

Last edited by Finger Mullet; 09-18-2010 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply: How long does your air filter last?