How I registered my KLX in MA with no title or frame number LEGALLY

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 07:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default How I registered my KLX in MA with no title or frame number LEGALLY

This is a success story, but It took a while to get there.

I bought a 2009 KLX 250 SF in Massachusetts back in october for $1900. The motorcycle did not have a title with it and had a North Carolina State assigned Vin number that was only 10 digits long. At the time I was planning on using it mainly off main roads anyway.

I realized when I bought it there was an issue with it, the top speed was only 38mph!!! After making a thread here earlier, people helped me find out that it was in fact the diaphragm on the carb was installed wrong. Holy crap that bike was quick after that fix!

After itching for a while to drive it on the street, I decided to try and go through the process of registering it in MA. So here comes the story.

After having CHECKED THE VIN WHEN I PURCHASED THE BIKE and it came back clean, so I decided to try my luck by using the "Vermont loophole" for motorcycles without a title. For those you who don't know this, you can register a motorcycle in Vermont that is older than 15 years old or under 300cc's without a title. I filled out the registration form for VT, sent in my check with it, and bang, 10 days later I receive a license plate and 4 days after that I receive the official registration. What a relief, now time to convert the out of state registration to an in state one.

Well, if only it was that easy.

The first call was to the vermont DMV, I asked them if they would give me the title or is Massachusetts would, they quickly understood the situation and told me that MA would assign me one upon registering the vehicle.

The second call was to the Mass RMV. I went through 3 people none of which understood my situation, then was finally brought to the slowest talking woman on the planet after 1:30 of time spent on the phone. "Yes you can register the vehicle in Mass, call (title department) after this call and verify that you can get a title." then I say "I just want to clarify" And explained my situation again. "Oh, you didn't tell me it was an in state transaction, that makes the transaction illegal so you cant register the motorcycle in Mass, sorry" She proceeds to basically hang up on me.

The third call was to the title department. A 10 minute call in which they said "Who ever you talked to last has no idea what they are talking about, the transaction was legal, and registering it in Vermont was also legal, and you can legally register it in MA and they will issue you a title no problem."

Awesome, progress.

The third call was to the insurance company (hanover insurance). After spending an hour on the phone finalizing everything, the agent said "and now all I need is the title number and you're done" I explain the situation and he says he will call back. He calls back an hour later explaining how he went through to very high up levels of to try and get this resolved, but found out it is company policy to have a title number, no exceptions.

The fourth call was to Progressive. In 30 minutes I had a very nice woman help me out and completely take care of a quote AND RMV-1 form, in 30 minutes!!! Holy smokes I was excited.

I review the information, incorrect VIN . Call back for the 5th call of the day, fixed in only 5 minutes.

No more phone calls, Yay!!!

Now to the Mass RMV, with my Vermont registration, plates, bill of sale, and courage. The scariest part of the entire story. I arrive there at the scheduled opening time (9am) and here my number being called at 11am. 2 stinking hours when I arrived before they even opened.

I get called up to the counter, and hand her all the forms. "You have quite the unique situation here" (Meanwhile Im thinking 'oh god what else could go wrong'). I stand at the counter for 20 minutes while the woman was typing away at the computer and going back and forth to various reference books, copy machines, supervisors, and phone calls. Every thing checks out, except the co-owner (my father) isn't here to sign it off solely to you.

I explain it is my father, she hands my a form to transfer the sole ownership to me, and I hand it back. I pay the money, she walks away, then comes back with my Mass plates and says "Have a nice day, drive safe"

That is how I was able to register my KLX with no frame number, and no title.

My advice, don't be a stupid idiot like me and buy a motorcycle with a damn title. Yes, I personally saved about $600 in total on the bike, but this was a horrible idea in the first place.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm surprised that worked. No frame number? How did they explain that? Isn't it etched into the metal next to the triple clamps?

Old 12-30-2014, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member

It was previously stolen and then returned, but they scratched off the frame number. So North Carolina issued them a state issued VIN that was 10 digits long.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice one!

Vermont is a good neighbor like that.

Progressive kicks *** BTW, I was initially skeptical but have been a customer for a long time. They are good at making life easy for the customer. I appreciate that, I've got enough other crap to worry about.

So it's running all better now?

Old 12-31-2014, 12:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes! It is running great!

Old 01-01-2015, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice work! Paper work can really suck! Thanks for sharing!

Old 01-01-2015, 01:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by s10gto
Nice work! Paper work can really suck! Thanks for sharing!
Believe it or not, the only paperwork I filled out myself was the Vermont dmv form! Everything else was taken care of by my insurance company

Old 01-01-2015, 02:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Progressive is awesome. They got my KDX220 on the road with no issues.(I had Title) In process of converting it to duelsport now.

Now for VT does the bike need to be over 15years or under? Would be great if I could find a way for my buddy to duelsport his bike. He is offroad reg. but no other paperwork. We are also in Ma.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:28 PM
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=s10gto;517257]
Now for VT does the bike need to be over 15years or under? QUOTE]

Over 15 years old, so a 2000 or earlier model.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I live in MA and have registered several bikes in VT to wash the titles.

Most recently I bought a 1966 CA175 that had been in a collection for years, the title long lost. It's still registered in VT but now I could sell it legally and someone could register it.

Bikes over 250cc registered in VT will require a police vin verification.

VT registration is very common on the vintage bike scene.

Quick Reply: How I registered my KLX in MA with no title or frame number LEGALLY