A Horse of a different color (long Post!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default A Horse of a different color (long Post!)

Disclaimer: The story that you are about to read should be listed under "off topic" but I figured that since you guys are my imediate familiy that I could get by with it.

January 1st 2007 I got in the truck and traveled 150 miles North to look at a old bike that I have admired for several years. When I got there to look at it I saw that it was pretty rough. The seat was covered with an old Fox racing T-shirt. The rear tire was bald (but so am I), it had been run without the carb to ac tubes, the tank was dented from several oops moments, and she just looked tired! But I took pity on the old girl, hopeing that I could breath new life into her. After all, it was a 1983 Honda XL600R. This was the engine that had concourd Baja 4 years running back in the day! I started her up and took her for a little spin. She ran but seemed tired. I knew with the absence of the air tubes that she had to be running lean and sucking every ounce of dirt possible into her. But, not letting that detour me I counted out five one hundred dollar bills and loaded her up. My wife gave me one of those looks that I have become accostomed to over the years. She quickly dubbed it the "hunk-o-junk". I just smiled and said "Save your judgement for the first of May!"
Once I unloaded it at home I quickly took the "before" pictures. I will boar you with only one of them.
Name:  DSC01377.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  118.7 KB

I quickly began the process of dissassembly and evaluation. After checking with Honda to see what was available I found that the red plastics were obsolete. So plan B was to outfit it with 1986 plastics that were white. The airbox was toast and I aquired one on ebay along with new carb tubes. After stripping everything off the frame and swing arm went to the powder coat shop to change the color from red to a charcoal grey metallic. The front forks were dissassembled and outfitted with stiffer springs and all new seals. Once the frame was done there were new steering stem bearings and seals installed. All new swing arm bearings and seals were used too.
Name:  DSC01384.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  82.9 KB
Then the fun started. I removed the head from the engine and found what I had expected. Scored cylinder! After checking to see what was available from Honda I pulled the cylinder and was pleased to find that 1mm over would take care of me.
My pleasure was short lived when I went to remove the wrist pin. It was very difficult to remove and after I got it out I could see where the pin was gaulded. It was actually trying to seize to the rod. This was probably as a result of the extreme lean condition. So now that the rod was trashed I discovered that it was cheaper to get a complete crank assembly rather than a rod and have it installed.
The new crank going in:
Name:  DSC01393.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  129.3 KB
Then it was time to install the counter ballencer and transmission
Name:  DSC01451.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  89.3 KB
Case together and breathing a sigh of releif!
Name:  DSC01453.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  113.8 KB
Oil pump, kick starter, and clutch
Name:  DSC01457.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  114.7 KB
Then for the cylinder and head. Don't forget the single cam for those four valves!
Name:  DSC01464.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  106.3 KB
After replacing the cam followers and rocker arms, getting the cam chain tensioner in place, and making sure that the two compression releases were in position, the valve cover was installed the valves adjusted, and the engine installed in frame.
Name:  DSC01475.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  125.5 KB
Aint it beautiful??
Name:  DSC01500.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  134.3 KB
Twin carbs and all
Name:  DSC01498.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  126.7 KB
Can't forget the freshly ceramic coated dual exhaust!
Name:  DSC01502.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  112.0 KB
Well its starting to take shape now
Name:  DSC01504.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  106.8 KB
Add a few platics
Name:  DSC01536.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  118.4 KB
Checking and running the wireing harness, new front brake master cylinder, new chain and sprockets, new handle bars, grips, levers, cables, kickstand, turn signals, tail lights, tires, and too many parts to mention. I found a 1986 stock tank on ebay that was perfect
Name:  DSC01445.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  59.7 KB
So I made a few changes in the color scheme, put a new blue seat on with matching dust boots on the shocks. Then stood back on the 120th day and said
"This is Good!"
Name:  DSC01612.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  163.6 KB

Name:  DSC01601.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  175.5 KB

Name:  DSC01604.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  166.1 KB

It runs absolutely Maavolous!
I know that this isn't everyones cup of tea, but it sure has been fun and rewarding!
Thanks for putting up with this long post!

Old 05-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: A Horse of a different color (long Post!)

Well its my cup of tea!!!! I remember the day you first posted it, I think I might have been more excited than you.....maybe What a great job, I would love to have a bike like that, I suppose you won't consider selling it to me for the original $500.00? Yea I didn't think so. Man I gotta give to the mad mechanic skills award for this one. Way to go man.[sm=groupwave.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=lockeddance.gif][sm=massbounce.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=Flahssssss.gif]

Old 05-03-2007, 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

All that in 120 days, huh? You suck. I've been working on my Mustang for over 10 years and it's still not moving under its own power.

That is an absolutely great restoration! You should be commended.

Parts for Honda's are expensive. Apparently they are made out of "unobtainium". I wanted toreplace therim and relace the rearwheel on my girlfriend's XR100, and Honda wanted almost $5 a spoke!

Old 05-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

She is beautiful! I'm very impressed - splitting the cases and everything - great job! [sm=hail.gif]

Old 05-03-2007, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

That's a damn good job you did on the bike. And, in such little time.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Great Job!

Old 05-03-2007, 11:33 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

I for one can truly appreciate what you did because Im doing the same thing basically myself to the 79 RM400. My bench looks similar to yours right now. Im in the process now of rebuilding the forks (took them apart last night). Anyway, I wont get into all my details but Im at your second picture stage

If you guys are thinking about doing this be prepared because it will nickle/dime you to death (more like $20's and $50's but you get the point)

Old 05-04-2007, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JB1

I for one can truly appreciate what you did because Im doing the same thing basically myself to the 79 RM400. My bench looks similar to yours right now. Im in the process now of rebuilding the forks (took them apart last night). Anyway, I wont get into all my details but Im at your second picture stage

If you guys are thinking about doing this be prepared because it will nickle/dime you to death (more like $20's and $50's but you get the point)
Don't forget to take pictures so that we can share! There is just something about the old bikes that really excites me. Probably because I'm old and living in the past. That RM400 is going to be cool!

Old 05-04-2007, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member

SWEEEEEET!

Old 05-04-2007, 12:55 AM
JB1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vfrpilot

Don't forget to take pictures so that we can share! There is just something about the old bikes that really excites me. Probably because I'm old and living in the past. That RM400 is going to be cool!
Yup, I too have the same passion for the old bikes.

I really like that tank paint design, looks great.

BTW.....what does your wife think about the bike now?

Quick Reply: A Horse of a different color (long Post!)