HMF is on the bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 03:35 AM
1st Gear Member
Default HMF is on the bike

The HMF Slip-On came in today... 21-May-2008 at about 2:30 PM,a day earlier than UPS said it was to be delivered. I ordered it via the net, directly from HMF on16-May-2008 01:08:42 AM (a cut & paste from their return email invoice that night/morning - Note the date and time.)

I got 2 emails in the next few days letting me know that it had progressed from the order to in production and then an email that it was shipped with a UPS tracking number. I checked the tracking number and it's scheduled for delivery tomorrow, Thurs 5-22. Anyway the hand at UPS that knew what they were doing got it here after lunch today. I thinkthis is a fantastic time frame to make an order, have it made up and delivered. And the communications from the office letting me know exactly what was going on is just about unheard of nowdays. A Big Plus in my book, and note that there was a Saturday and Sunday in there right after I ordered it. It's hard to believe.

From the time I started removing things on the bike until I cranked it up with the new pipe on was about 30 minutes. It slipped on with a nice snug fit and things lined up with no problems. The supplied hardware is first class especially the clamp used where the muffler pipe joins the header pipe. I did however add an additional ¼" spacer to the one provided to move it away from the rear fender just a tad more. I was a little surprised at the nice growl it has now. It was a bit loud in the enclosed shop but will probably be fine on the street unless I really get on it. But to be safe, I called and have the Quiet Core on the way.

Only rode it about a mile to the gas pump to see how my gas mileage was on the 89 miles I rode it last Saturday.Mileage came out to 55 mpg, but I was really getting on it in a lots in the first 3 gears for a good bit due to the location. None of it was on paved roads, but at least half that was on pretty deep wet sandy back roads. Had to keep it up to about 40 mph to feel ok in that sand. I noted on the way to and back from the pump that it definately has more grunt in 3rd and up.

So, with all the mods done in the carb area, the larger snorkle in the airbox, the 13t sprocket and now the pipe, I'm looking forward to getting it back in the woods to see how all this works out. I have a softer foam seat coming from Guts Racing in hopes that will help my bottom end in the long ride department.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: HMF is on the bike

Welcome to the HMF Club! Also good to see you're still "playing" after all those years - Keep the fun meter pegged guy!

Old 05-22-2008, 06:21 AM
1st Gear Member

I got to 180km (111 miles) before I hit reserve with my new staintune sliponpipe which I'm very happy about. Maybe I will get another 30kms (18 miles) before shes dry only 20kms (12 miles) less then the stock pipe got me, for the extra grunt its worth it. I'm guessing with a full system and rejet I would get alot less fuel economy. Enjoy your new HMF!! I just can't ride my bike enough nowI have the new pipe hehehe.
Cheers!

Old 05-24-2008, 12:50 PM
1st Gear Member

You're gonna love your HMF slip, I know I love mine.You should pickup a FMF powerbomb header, makes more power and it's quiets it by a few DBs... I ended up taking my quiet core out and it's not as raspy loud as some other exhaust I've heard, partly due to the header.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:17 PM
1st Gear Member

249cc--- Thanks for that information. I'll check the header out. I'm up in Atlanta for the James Taylor concert this evening but will be back Tuesday andwill have time to ride the bike Wednesday. In the short ride I've had, I can tell that I've got lots more power now. Looking forward to the rides.

Take Care,