Hitch mounted m/c carrier

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 05:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I doubt that your trailer has a tongue weight of 300 pounds. I think you're right about the steering getting light, traction going uphills might suffer as well.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BleednGreen68
Just single into duals. Dont think I could get a true dual system unless you put dual turbos on it and i dont know much about the twin turbos. I could be wrong though. Has a splitter in the bed that makes it into dual stacks. I hate single stacked trucks, looks stupid IMO. I want to get rain caps for mine but they are about $100 a cap!
I was thinkin rain caps before I finished reading, I just bout a used rigid tripod with the dies and ratchets for up to 2" pipe for 100 bucks over Christmas, the guy was hard up for money and I was glade to get the stuff off his hands at that steal of a deal. In addition, my muffler just rotted off my old snow blower as well when I got back up in the U.P.... small engine exhaust ports in the head are threaded for pipe, so I'm in the process of makin a sweet stack with a custom built rain cap for my snowblower its gunna be stylin.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LikesToThump
I was thinkin rain caps before I finished reading, I just bout a used rigid tripod with the dies and ratchets for up to 2" pipe for 100 bucks over Christmas, the guy was hard up for money and I was glade to get the stuff off his hands at that steal of a deal. In addition, my muffler just rotted off my old snow blower as well when I got back up in the U.P.... small engine exhaust ports in the head are threaded for pipe, so I'm in the process of makin a sweet stack with a custom built rain cap for my snowblower its gunna be stylin.
Sweet deal! Make sure you take pics of yer snow blower when you get that stack on it. Never seen a blower with a stack on it. Bet it will look cool. Rain caps are the icing on the cake haha

Old 02-04-2012, 02:05 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
I doubt that your trailer has a tongue weight of 300 pounds. I think you're right about the steering getting light, traction going uphills might suffer as well.
How much is a Taurus rated to tow? How is tongue weight calculated? 10% of trailer weight?

Old 02-04-2012, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member

How much is a Taurus rated to tow?
Check the owners manual or with Ford
How is tongue weight calculated?
For allowable tongue weight check with hitch manufacturer; actual tongue weight: put tongue of loaded trailer on a scale, rearrange load on trailer (within load limits) to adjust weight distribution
10% of trailer weight?
Don't know

Old 02-04-2012, 04:55 PM
1st Gear Member

A trailer should be loaded such that the tongue weight is at least 10% and no more than 15% of the total weight of the trailer (not to exceed the rating of the hitch).

With heavier trailers (relative to the size of the tow vehicle), getting it wrong will result in the "tail wagging the dog" syndrome...

Old 02-04-2012, 04:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I was thinkin a motorcycle hitch carrier is supposed to have a class II or class III hitch. Not sure you can get that kind of hitch for a taurus. You might have to build your own but not sure how strong you can make it with a unit body car.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:04 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
How much is a Taurus rated to tow?
Check the owners manual or with Ford
How is tongue weight calculated?
For allowable tongue weight check with hitch manufacturer; actual tongue weight: put tongue of loaded trailer on a scale, rearrange load on trailer (within load limits) to adjust weight distribution
10% of trailer weight?
Don't know
I was hoping landon would know about the Taurus. My guess would be <=2000lbs which is much less than most 5000lb rated 2" receiver hitches.

Landon, if you try it, post up your results. I would like to know.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I just Googled "Ford Tauras towing capacity" and for a 2008 it gave 1,000 lb. and the Tauras X 2,000 lb. I think it was the 2006 that it didn't give any towing capacity at all.

Norm

Old 02-04-2012, 08:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Sport Motorcycle Carrier
I've got one of these. I live near Chicago. PM if you want it. It was OK for street bikes, but the company truck I have now has an open bed so I don't need it.

Quick Reply: Hitch mounted m/c carrier