Hitch Mounted Carriers

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:41 PM
rlj
1st Gear Member
Default Hitch Mounted Carriers

Did a search and saw where several KLX owners have or have used the hitch mounted carriers.

My question is that I have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4-door) running 286/65 33's tires and it's lifted 2 1/2 inches. Is this going to make it difficult getting the bike off and on for one person? The video clips that I've seen from manufacturers show most vehicles being a standard height. I'm also guessing that I'm going to have to take the spare tire off the back in order to use the hitch carrier.

Any thoughts?

By the way, I'm a new KLX owner with 103 miles so far. It's been cold as snot here in Atlanta the last week or so and riding has been difficult at best. I did manage to go out for a nice ride today......

Old 01-13-2010, 11:00 PM
1st Gear Member

shouldnt be a problem. i use the motor to load. make sure you get a anti rattle device.
if you cant find one uhaul centers cary them. if your gonna use it a lot say away form the cheap ones.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

It shouldn't be a problem with one person, though you may need some momentum or engine power (as stated above). I find with hitch racks I have much more trouble getting the bike off than on, since it settles into the gaps in the rack (for certain rack types, anyways).

Also, if you have a full size spare it may hit, but I'm surprised how far out from the hitch my rack sticks. You may clear it.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:21 PM
1st Gear Member

How sturdy are these on dirt roads? do the bikes flop around much?

Im over towing a trailer everywhere.

Cheers
Paul
________
Essential vaaapp

Last edited by barbz; 05-02-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member

My bike is very securely mounted to the rack, but the rack definitely moves around in the hitch a bit. I'd recommend a stabilizer/anti rattle device or whatever you want to call it, though I don't have one myself. My rack has survived hundreds of miles of mountain roads (mostly paved though), and a decent amount of washboard roads. Make sure you have decent springs in the rear of your vehicle though, otherwise your handling can be scary at speed.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks - Any photos of your carrier?

cheers
Paul
________
Fisting vid

Last edited by barbz; 05-02-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rlj
Did a search and saw where several KLX owners have or have used the hitch mounted carriers.

My question is that I have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4-door) running 286/65 33's tires and it's lifted 2 1/2 inches. Is this going to make it difficult getting the bike off and on for one person? The video clips that I've seen from manufacturers show most vehicles being a standard height. I'm also guessing that I'm going to have to take the spare tire off the back in order to use the hitch carrier.

Any thoughts?

By the way, I'm a new KLX owner with 103 miles so far. It's been cold as snot here in Atlanta the last week or so and riding has been difficult at best. I did manage to go out for a nice ride today......
I bought an aluminum carrier off Ebay that works great and it came with 4 tie downs for just over $100. I knew I was going to have a problem getting my SF on it because my F250 is lifted 10" and it sits on 38.5" tires. I thought I might be ok if I use a curb/sidewalk to load and unload but on the first try the bike almost became a new hat for my dome! Thank god there was a stranger nearby to help get it back under control.

I promptly tied it down and made my next stop a friends house that is a welder by trade to discuss possible modification. We came up with a great solution of not modifying the actual carrier but building a whole unit that slides into the truck reciever, drops down about ten inches to another reciever tube that the carrier now slides into. The new reciever tube has four bolts that I tighten down to prevent the carrier from swaying. It works great and the bike carrier can still be used on a stock height vehicle. Just an idea that worked for me. . .

Old 01-14-2010, 01:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Have a amc-400 carrier and can roll my dirtbike on pretty ez, the klx I would walk it up with power. It came with the gizmo that keep it from rocking in the receiver, it works and has never loosened up. I did need to grind on it a bit to sit flush against my style receiver tube, no biggie. I wouldn't trust those cheap tie downs they supply for this application, thin Chinese junk. Because of the sling angle you want some better quality 1 " tie down secured with a knot (had them slip) or some good 1.5" tie down.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by barbz
Thanks - Any photos of your carrier?

cheers
Paul
No actual picture of the rack on my car, but here is the rack:

http://www2.northerntool.com/trailer...tem-125910.htm

Old 01-14-2010, 11:37 AM
rlj
1st Gear Member

When you say use the motor to load, are you walking it up the ramp in first or riding it up?

Also, now I'm looking at the Ultimate MXHauler, same concept but different engineering. Would definitely solve loading issues but cost more......

http://www.ultimatemxhauler.com

Quick Reply: Hitch Mounted Carriers