High Elevation Jetting

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Back in 2008 I went from 750ft in IL up to 10,000ft in Rocky Mtn Natl Park with a stock bike. I took extra jets and played with them some, but finally settled on simply removing the airbox lid. It would bog at wot, but fine up to that. Good enough for the time I was there. Some info in this old thread before I went.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=21459

I was back there last summer with a 351 and FMF Q4. Took extra jets and a kouba screw. Bike fired right up and ran without issue. Up to the tree line on the old Rollins Pass rd . 10,000ft +/- Never changed a jet and the kouba screw is still in the bag I should put that in this winter while the bike is apart.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=33066

I'll be back out there in 2012, so maybe we could organize a klx ride Mr CJ crashes-a-lot

EMS HAVE A BLAST!!!!!!! And be careful. And take pictures. And post them up when you get home.
Oh yeah AND Have fun

Dan

Last edited by dan888; 01-19-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:18 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

dan, I wouldn't go to Colorado or anywhere else with you. I'd be constantly terrified of seeing an upside down, out-of-control, KLX flying at me...just like that scene in your last video...LOL!

Old 01-20-2011, 12:41 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cjcrashesalot
Out of curiosity, where in Colorado are you going? Taylor Park area?
There are 3 guys and me driving out with the one guys toy hauler, we are going to be there for 2 weeks and move around so we can ride alot of different areas, and just sleep in the toyhauler so we dont have to rent a house. I know they are doing black bear pass again... honestly i dont care, as long as im not at work and on a motorcycle ill follow the leader.

dan, I wouldn't go to Colorado or anywhere else with you. I'd be constantly terrified of seeing an upside down, out-of-control, KLX flying at me...just like that scene in your last video...LOL!
kinda sounds like how i ride..... lol...

Old 01-20-2011, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888

I'll be back out there in 2012, so maybe we could organize a klx ride Mr CJ crashes-a-lot

Dan
Deal. I know some good spots.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I live at close to sea level, maybe 300 ft, and I ride up to 3000 ft. At 3000 it does start to sputter slightly. I'm running the 132 and 40 with no airbox lid. So can anyone answer this: The higher you go the less air your bike will need or more? If I went to say 10,000 would it help if I put the lid on? Or is that going the wrong way?

Old 01-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Thats the wrong way.... there is less air up there.... you need less fuel...

Old 01-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Thats the wrong way.... there is less air up there.... you need less fuel...

So if I ran with only half a tank it would be ok? LOL

Old 01-20-2011, 11:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
So if I ran with only half a tank it would be ok? LOL
Deej I think you run on half a tank all the time. LOL

But like EMS said , you need less fuel or more air at higher elevations. You need to keep the ratio of oxygen and fuel the same, and there is less oxygen in the air at higer altitudes. Removing the airbox lid once I got out west was enough to get my ratio close to where it should have been. I know you lid is off already, so you would have to go to smaller jets to correct the ratio on your bike if it was really going to be an issue. Sounds like yours is fine for the majority of your riding.
Dan @ 1/2 tank also

Old 01-21-2011, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
OUCH!!
And I was thinking of inviting you along to haul extra fuel around for us in that honkin tank of yours

I promise no flying KLX. I'm sure EMS could tone it down a bit, and Cjcrashesalot sounds like a safe rider just by his name. You could make the trip up from Tejas in a couple years. I know you can spare the time, your always gallivanting around on month long trips.

EMS that sounds like an awesome trip!! Should be fairly inexpensive too, camping in the toy hauler, and cooking your own food. . ""honestly i dont care, as long as im not at work and on a motorcycle ill follow the leader."" Agree 100%

no riders were hurt in the making of that video
Name:  vlcsnap-2152095.png
Views: 208
Size:  337.9 KB

Old 01-21-2011, 09:56 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Yea when im out there im not going to ride the same i do here at home. It is going to be a vacation for me, not a fast pace ride. Stopping to take lots of pics and take it all in. Ive never been there before. Plus i dont want to get hurt a couple days into a 14 day trip. Its going to be awesome. This is the year my life is changing...

Quick Reply: High Elevation Jetting