High Desert Adventures

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default High Desert Adventures

Well it looks like my cousin who lives in Beaverton and I are going to sign up for the High Desert Adventure in June. Looks like a blast. Check it out.

http://www.highdesertadventures.net/

Here is a ride report from the ADV site, it gives you an idea of what we will be up to.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353386

The Wild West Desert Tour
On the Wild West Desert Tour we ride approximately 450 miles of trails, two track, logging and service roads over three full days. See sights like Hole in the Ground, Fort Rock, Crack in the Ground, the Fort Rock Homestead Museum, Fremont Point and others. Eat GREAT food (a 30 ounce steak) at The Cowboy Dinner Tree and other backcountry favorites! Tour price: $745.
2010 Tour Dates:
June 4 - 6
October 8 - 10

Old 02-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Looks cool man. Wish i could something like that.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:25 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Hmmm...3 days for $750...and that's probably overlooking some other logistics' costs when you do a deal like this...unless these folks are supplying the motorcycles and gear? Is that it...supplying all the machinery, I mean?

I can do a minimum of 2 weeks in the Moab/SE Utah/Colorado area for way less than that. You can camp free in the forest or desert, buy food to cook in camp as you go, take a solar shower to keep civilized, and other such logistics. Plus you don't have to comply to someone else's schedule and rules.

Understand that I'm not slamming package deals if you have the money or are just not up to planning your own logistics, but I contend that you can have a lot more fun and freedom by hooking up with a few riders and rolling-yer-own trip to wherever you want to go if you try. A few of us are doing Moab at the very end of April into the first two weeks of May. I've done this area several times before and will be a psuedo guide if need be, but with maps and books and tons of riding/off road history in these areas, you don't need to spend big bucks to have an inexpensive and long adventure.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:31 PM
1st Gear Member

ive seen that post before, looks like a great ride. personally, im waiting for this, kings of the west (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535024). ~1500miles, 5 days (day 3 is just a party with open bar in brianhead, utah), Ride And Camping Excursion. i wont blab to much, as for the rules of KotW, but the link is there so check it out.

Last edited by punkenduro09; 02-01-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah it does seem like a lot of money, and quite frankly to me it might as well be $10,000!!! Its going to be hard to swing this amount. But it does include motel rooms for 3 nights, all the food, fuel, and they haul your gear and clothes. That means that you are able to see three days worth of riding without having to back track to camp each night, or load the bike up so much that you are limited as to the riding choices. It is what it is I guess. Besides its a chance for me and my cousin to GPS the entire ride and then if we want to do part or all of the ride we will have all the routes every year.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks cool Deej, sometimes it's worth the extra money to have all the details taken care of for you. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you live in a great part of the country for making the most of the KLX. I'm sure you will take us along (with pictures ) when you guys go.
Dan

Old 02-01-2010, 10:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Looks cool Deej, sometimes it's worth the extra money to have all the details taken care of for you. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you live in a great part of the country for making the most of the KLX. I'm sure you will take us along (with pictures ) when you guys go.
Dan
Oh you know it! I am predicting that it may surpass my Canada trip for the pictures and ride report.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Go for it Deej,
$750 sounds a lot for 3 days riding but organised tours can be great fun.
New trails, new mates, someone who knows where they are going.
Sharing the days "hero" stories and a cold beer at the end of they day.

I've done a few with this mob.
http://www.westcoastsafaris.com.au/
Normally thats when a mate or 2 are visiting from out of town and booking us all on this type of tour is easy. They nornally need a hire bike.
The prices are in the zone.

One thing you need to be mindful of is your fitness level.
These tours can get pretty serious and 3 days in a row of full on dirt riding can be very tough on my, errrrr, my aging body.

Last edited by neilaction; 02-02-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

My 3 day ride is gonna run me over $2,000 so your getting off easy.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Not that $750 is "easy" I'm jus say'in Ya gotta look at it from the right perspective........... Your gonna be dead longer than your gonna be alive so you might as well enjoy it while you can.

Quick Reply: High Desert Adventures