Help me figure out what's wrong...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Help me figure out what's wrong...

So I was riding home, pulled up behind a HD at a light. He asserted his hp prowess on green, and I was right behind in his cloud of oily smoke...until the bike stumbled at full throttle.
Then it really stumbled, like I ran out of gas...only 42 miles on the trip odo...huh, put it on reserve. Seemed like it was running fine, until I let out the clutch. Then it was bogging down as soon as some throttle was applied.
Managed to get it to run a little better at full throttle.
When I could check it out safely on the side of the road...I found oil level ok, coolant ok, all electrical plugs ok (visibly), but the plug wire was loose (not pushed on all the way?).
Pushed it on, ran a little better, but still bogged with throttle, until it was wide open, then it ran, but poorly.
Managed to get home (stranded 12 miles from town with no cell service).
At home I gave the bike the once over again...now the oil level had increased! There was more than before, I know because I changed the oil 4 days ago and it was a little lower than the top mark in the sight glass, now it's higher!
Open to suggestions as to where to start.
Things I thought of so far....
-drain the carb, possibly take out and clean?
-check the air filter, looked good 4 days ago?
-take out the plug, clean and or replace and check for spark - gotta wait for it to cool down
Working on KISS (keep it simple stupid) method of air, fuel, and spark.
Hoping it's not serious, only 4K on the bike.
Non-pertinent info (I think) follows...
I have changed the oil 4 times, did not change filter last time.
Bike is bone stock, except for add-ons like skid plate, etc. No air box, carb or engine mods.
It's had many dirt naps but has run hundreds of miles since the last one this past weekend.
Lost the nut in the muffler a few days back(the one underneath and on the can itself, not the clamp bolt), replaced as soon as I noticed it.
OK, time to grab a beer and relax...my baby will be ok.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

You're right, you need to verify fuel, spark, and air.

My first thought on your oil level rising is: mine seems to do that too after every oil change. I don't know why, but after the first ride following an oil change the level seems to go up a bit. Doesn't go up any more after that though. The reading is very sensitive to level front to back and side to side, so keep that in mind. As long as your oil is not milky or discolored, and it doesn't stink like gasoline, I'd look elsewhere first.

It sounds a lot like fuel starvation. Check the gas tank vent (such as by running it with the gas cap open). Also, there is a little, white strainer/filter where the gas line connects to the carb; it's inside the line, you can't see it without pulling the line. Check it for pluggage if the vent checks out. Also, make sure all vent lines off of the carb are not pinched or plugged in any way. Draining the float bowl can't hurt, there could be water buildup in it.

Like you said, verify good spark. Then, if none of that checks out, look deeper.

Does it rev normally in neutral?

Last edited by Lutz; 07-07-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:50 AM
1st Gear Member

cleen the carb well and then ride it again see if that does it all that ethanol is bad for carbs

Old 07-07-2012, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Look over all of the vacuum and vent lines. Make sure that none of the vents have melted closed on the exhaust ( I had this happen ) Also make sure all of the vacuum lines are connected and not cracked. You said it was all stock so i assume that you haven't pulled the smog stuff off. I removed my smog stuff, but one of the cheap rubber caps that i put on to plug the vacuum port weathered and cracked. When that happened the bike would barely run because it was sucking air. If one of the stock hoses have come off or cracked it would act the same way.
good luck
Dan

ps if you do pull the smog stuff , cap the lines with vinyl caps, not rubber ones. The vinyl will hold up much better.

Name:  caps.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  5.8 KB

Last edited by dan888; 07-07-2012 at 01:27 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

does your bike start ok? how about idling? Are your carb vent tubes pinched somehow? It sounds very fuel like to me. See what happens when you open the fuel bowl drain on the bottom of the carb.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member

replace the spark plug...my bike ran like that when the plug was bad...cheap thing to try...

Old 07-07-2012, 03:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Maybe throw in some fresh gas while your at it. Have you filled it up yet?

Old 07-07-2012, 09:20 PM
1st Gear Member

OK, changed the almost loose plug, looked a little tired but OK, opened the float bowl drain....BINGO!
Some nasty crud came out.
Tightened it back up and turned the gas back on, it fired up as soon as the gas came through the line, seems fine...still need to ride it.
As soon as that proves ok, then the rear wheel comes off for a rim lock and the sprocket and chain change...if the chain is long enough. A week after I got the chain, I got the master link...one disappointed 1st time customer. Another story, another thread...
At least I can go back to original gearing if it doesn't work.
Now to find and re-read the smog removal thread, 'cause I got an assortment of vinyl caps and some hose clamps. Oh crap I seem to remember needing hose too. Oh well, can get some tomorrow.
Thanks everyone for the replies!
Time for a test ride...

Old 07-08-2012, 03:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Before you start fiddle****ing with the smog stuff, make sure that your problem is solved...

Old 07-09-2012, 05:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I think it just doesn't want to be seen anywhere near a HD... can't blame it for that.

Quick Reply: Help me figure out what's wrong...