Help with bike purchace

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh the ktm smokers play nice with a modded klx....just sayin again.

Name:  Picture009.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  130.2 KB

Old 08-04-2009, 01:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SavageKen
I like the Husaberg the best, there are a couple of dealers in edmonton that carry the bikes, that is only a four hour drive from here (Grande Prairie). I think the most practical would be the hondas because thr dealer that is four blocks from my house has 2008 new X for 7399.00. But then again 8600 for the 2010 250R FI The hus also has FI and so does the Suzuki. I am mostly torn between sizes I am 5'7'' and 175lbs and a 32" inseam and think a 450 might be a little large for me in the tight trails and I am afraid I will out grow the 250's. the husaberg is fairly pricy around 9000.00.
I once a few years back it was 1996 And I purchaces a Used bike that used bike looked fantastic, fired up and ran good in the guys driveway, so I purchaced not Knowing alot about the mechanics and bought something that died after two weekends and needed a complete rebuild, I of course Know more about bikes nowadays, but still do not trust buying a used bike.
Deej, I am keeping the KLX it is a good little bike my wife is going to ride it when the family goes trail riding. My 7 year old daughter is getting a Honda 50 for her birthday, she just loves bikes she wants rides constantly. back to the KLX I am also getting some SM tires and wheels for the bike as well, I just want a wild off road machine.Deej that 650 is a tank not a trailbike/MX track machine!!!LOL
I am not planning on financing the bike CASH only this time!!! $4000.00 in the cookie jar already!!!!

Ken
That's sweet that you found a dealer near you. Hell I think I only found one in Ontario lol. Also a 450 is a bit big for really tight technical single track trails that you can't rocket through them, I'll agree on that lol. But height issues shouldn't be a problem. Look at Ricky Carmichael, he's not very tall at all and he's riding MX 450 like nothing Besides you would most likely get bored of a 250 4 stroke for sure, but a 250 2 stroke, well that's a different story I would go test ride a 450 and the Hus and go from there.

Oh and KTM is cream of the crop, but pricey as hell lol
Hmmmmmm Orange crush!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all of the replies guys, I have a question or two about the two-stroke, I have never owned one since the used one I bought in 2006 (my bad bike purchace). Can they lug as good as a 4-stroke with good low rpm power or do they need to be screaming to make power, The only two strokes that are close by are KTM or yamaha. and the KTM's out cost everything elseby lots of cash. Here in grande prairie they are at least 1000-1500 more than the competition. I think I have made my decision. I want the Huasberg. I mean my mind can change in the next 2months (I need to save the rest of the cash.). Right now the Husaberg seems to have all that I want.

http://www.husaberg.com/FE-390.311.0.html

Finger It is impooible to plate an offroad vehicle in alberta It all has to do with the serial number. If the serial number either comes up off road or competition use you cannot plate it for the street (Well it is near impossible) the VIN has to say motorcycle then it is good for on road. Here you use to be able to plate the off road motorcycle, It took a few expensive inspections and an application to the government to register the bike as an Altered vehichle. this does not happen anymore.

Ken

Old 08-04-2009, 11:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Same thing in Florida about the plating.....ktm 2-smoke vin comes up in a Florida DOT computer as "motorcycle" ...... is it not the same where you live, ask the ktm dealer.

The ktm 300 has real good low end chug....some call it a three stroke.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I will have to check it out KTM's are nice bikes-You will see more and more good things come from them now that they own Husaberg and you will start to see more and more husabergs now. Now if I can purchace either a KTM or HUSABERG and the vins come up motorcycle and I could plate the bike that would be cool. I suppose If all ktms come up motorcycle that might get me thinkin again, Doh!!! ( only because I have a local ktm dealership) -shouldnt all KTM dealerships have access to the husabergs, I should have a talk with my KTM dealership. I know I am rambling I am just very excited about getting a Kick-*** off road bike!!! Check out the Husaberg Vid:

http://www.international-motorsports.com/

Ken

Old 08-05-2009, 01:21 PM
1st Gear Member

What ever you get, let us know and take some pics!

Old 08-05-2009, 04:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Pretty much all KTM's are titled as a motorcycle. My buddy just bought a 250SX and got it plated for the street.. Has nothing but a headlight.

Anyways - Big Bore on the KLX, or get another bike that's bigger than the 250

If I had to do it all over again, I'd start with a bike that is NOT street legal, and make it that. WR450 comes to mind