Helmet and goggles question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Helmet and goggles question

I'd like to ask all of you for some advice. First of all, I've learned that the key to living with MBD (Multiple Bike Disorder) is to get your girlfriend to go riding with you. I started her out on a clapped-out '98 XR100. Now she wants to ride on and off road, which means a new bike. Just so you're all warned, MBD is contageous!

When she started riding last Spring, I didn't know if she would stick to it, so I didn't spend a ton outfitting her. The only helmet I had that would fit her was an old open-faced helmet, which definitely is not a good idea. I want to get her a new full-faced helmet and goggles for Christmas, but here's the problem. She wears glasses, and I'm having trouble finding her goggles that will fit over them comfortably. I'd like to either get her an offroad helmet with a full face shield, or an offroad helmet and a set of goggles that comfortably fit over glasses. She doesn't like street helmets - I've already tried that route. She likes the big visor on offroad helmets.

I have a Simpson GS3 with a face shield, which is an option. I know that the Arai XD is an offroad helmet with a face shield, but at over $400.00, it's too expensive for me right now. I'd like to stay in the $200.00 range. Any other suggestions or advice?

Thanks a lot!

Old 11-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Helmet and goggles question

I have scott goggles, that are made to go over glasses... not sure on what kind of helmet i have....

Old 11-01-2006, 05:43 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I got a full face street helmet when I got my bike because it was winter when I got it. The full face helmet is great when it's cooler out or you are going to be on the roads or fast trails - it's a whole lot quieter than the MX style helmet. I use my MX helmet when the going is slower off-road and need more ventalation. For when I wear my MX helmet, I bought some Thor over glasses goggles and don't have any clearance problems. Of course, for the full face street helmet, you don't need goggles because of the built-in shield.

What I'd really like is an Arai XD which is the best of both worlds, but it's just a bit out of my price range:

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PR...ds/araixdwhite

Old 11-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

thats a sweet helmet! i have never even seen one of those....

Old 11-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

I got a full face street helmet when I got my bike because it was winter when I got it. The full face helmet is great when it's cooler out or you are going to be on the roads or fast trails - it's a whole lot quieter than the MX style helmet. I use my MX helmet when the going is slower off-road and need more ventalation. For when I wear my MX helmet, I bought some Thor over glasses goggles and don't have any clearance problems. Of course, for the full face street helmet, you don't need goggles because of the built-in shield.

What I'd really like is an Arai XD which is the best of both worlds, but it's just a bit out of my price range:

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PR...ds/araixdwhite
That's a cool helmet its a cross between a road and an MX helmet. I have the Scott Goggles, in fact I really didn't know what I was doing at the shop when I bought all my gear, since it was 20 years ago that I rode off road, and even then I didn't wear gear. Yea that's right I was stupid, no helmet, no boots or goggles. I'm glad we get smarter as we get older. Anyway I got the Scott goggles with the tear-off notches for tear-off film, which if you think about it, thats ironic since I have never gotten mud on my goggles, and didn't get any film anyway. Now that's funny right there.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the advice so far! I forgot to mention that right now she's using Pro Grip 3400 goggles, which are very comfortable without glasses. With glasses, she says the goggles pushes them down onto the bridge of her nose - not good.

As for the noise, I have to agree with you Nobrakes. My Simpson GS3 helmet is pretty noisy at speed with the shield up. With the shield down, you get a noise kind of like Tommy Boy talking into the front of moving fan ([sm=vader1.gif] Luke, I am your faaaaather!). It's not very loud, but its annoying. The shield also doesn't completely seal off the front of the helmet, so you get a lot of air packing in. That's why I'm holding off on getting one for her.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member

( Luke, I am your faaaaather!). Now that's funny right there. Loved that movie. Hey what bike is your GF riding? Is she on the KLX? or do you have another bike for her. Just curious, I bought the 2006 Yamaha XT225 for my wife, and its perfect for her. about a half inch from being flat footed.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh and welcome if we didn't say that.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:46 PM

That Arai helmet is nice. I have wanted one since I saw the Long Way Round with Ewan Macgregor. If you havent seen it go and get it. I still cant believe some of the places they took those big BMW's.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:06 PM

I don't have any personal experience with the helmet in this link, but I found it by searching for alternatives to the Aria XD. Apparently there are not a lot of competitors for this style helmet available in the US. This link goes to about the only one that is readily available, at least according to the forum that I found it in.

http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/p...9&prod_id=4137

According to the folks on the page I found, the shield design on this helmet is not as good as on the Aria XD, and as such does not provide as good of coverage in heavy rain or cold. Generally they seemed pleased with it, though.

Something to consider.

Chris

Quick Reply: Helmet and goggles question