Header glowing red

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 02:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Header glowing red

Ok,I know this isn' a klx question but figured someone here would be able to help out.I have a TTR225 and had a couple friends stop by and we were going to go riding ,fired the ttr up and within a minute the first 4 inches of the header was glowing bright red,I shut it right down so nothing would get hurt.Any input would be helpful and fix suggestions. Hopefully it's nothing major.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Header glowing red

Sounds like its running quite lean. All stock my KLX would look like that too. It would put off quite a glow with the lights off in the garage. It also started a small smoldering fire when some brush got caught between the heat shield and pipe. Haven't noticed it since rejetting.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:30 PM
1st Gear Member

This thing is all stock and never noticed it before.Kinda gets me worried,damn yamaha

Old 09-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Pull the filter just in case, although if I'm thinking right a plugged filter will make it run rich since it is cutting off the air and so there will be more gas in the motor than air. How old it the bike? Sometimes if your exhaust is plugged with packing it can cause the pipe to get really hot.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:55 PM
1st Gear Member

OK now,one of you is saying lean and one is saying rich,the bike is a 2003 and the exhaust doesn't seem to be plugged in any way.I know a pipe gets warm but when it's glowing bright red in the daylight somethings wrong.I checked the filter and it isn't plugged but noticed someone before me had drilled a couple of air holes in the side of the airbox.Too much air?

Old 09-30-2007, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Hokie, here you go, there might be some good ideas in this link, not that I am encouraging anyone from leaving this great site, but ....you know.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74445

Old 09-30-2007, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh and another thing, air cooled bikes are known for this, especially if you let them warm up too long or with the choke on too long. Or a combination of both. My wife's XT225 did that once when I got distracted inside the house. It sounds like you just need to get the wind blowing across the fins to prevent this from happening.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Deej,I have owned this bike for 3yrs and just never noticed the glowing with all the rides I have done before.It has been sitting for 3 months and it's the first time i have started it in awhile.I went to a yami forum and some have this problem and some don't.I knew someone here could help me out

Old 10-01-2007, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

The red glowing is just the power genie trying to escape. When the red goes away its time to trade it in.....or so I've read.[>:]

Old 10-01-2007, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member

either its lean or you left it running too long while not moving

Quick Reply: Header glowing red