Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Wink

Asphalt shingles also work great for added traction

Old 07-28-2008, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang
Getting the bike on is the easy part. How do you guys get the bike back off by yourself? I have to find a bank or mound to back up against so I can walk the bike off without a 45 degree descent. Is there a trick to doing this by yourself?

For you guys who ride your bike up the ramps and onto the truck, make sure the ramps are strapped to your bumper first! I watched a guy try this with a CRF450 onto his truck. He got his front tire up onto the tailgate and stopped for some reason. When he let the clutch out to get the back tire on, the wheel spun the ramp out from under him and down he went. He was OK, but he messed up his bike and his tailgate.
Leave your bike in gear, and use the clutch to let the bike roll, let go of the clutch to stop the bike.
I stay up on the truck and let the bike get down the ramp far enough where I can reach the handlebar with the clutch lever on it, hold the bike up while getting off the truck, then let the bike roll down some more.
My ramps would be impossible for the wheel to slip.

You can also control how fast the bike rolls with the clutch too, just like moving foward. Feather the clutch and it will roll slowly.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GreenMonsta

I'm surprised nobody mentioned these. We use 3 ramps to make a deck and drive our bikes on a dump truck. It's easier if you back up to a hill. I think Home Depot sells them.
this is what I have w/ two 8 ft boards & a 2X4 down the back for strength.
I almost always ride down because when I'm loading........ I almost always have help- I back it up.
I have riden it up when I have nobody around to help it just make backing it down a pain in the A$$ specially at the end of the day when tired.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member

takes a little getting used to riding it on - but don't hesitate mid way - thats how bikes end up on the ground on their side.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I like the idea of ATV ramps because its easy to walk up and down next to the bike. I am definitely going to look at a homemade 2x8 ramp too. Especially if it can be made real cheap. Thanks guys.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Red face

Originally Posted by Rabbit
When I go riding with my buddy up north we always took his Dakota no problem lifting the bikes in the back. Well he doesn't have a truck anymore so we took mine a Ram 2500 4x4 with a very high tailgate. What do you guys use to get the bikes in the bed? I'm thinking a single ramp but, I don't see how you could load it without walking next to the bike up the ramp. Any suggestions?

Deej i have the exact same truck as you do what do you use?
There's a nice You Tube video where a guy runs his bike up a ramp into his pickup with a step next to it. It's funny, because the camera man can't see the step and comments on how high the guy jumped. I suggest a little step next to your ramp, whatever it is, that you can step on as you enter the bed. Then, cameramen throughout the nation can ask "Nice, how did you jump up there?"

Old 07-30-2008, 09:55 PM
1st Gear Member

wierd how many of us have the same bike and truck...j/k. I second atv ramps and clutching the bike up and braking the bike down..it get easier but is always kinda sketchy. or drink a couple of beers and just ride it on

Old 07-31-2008, 05:23 AM
1st Gear Member

this is what i did,i customized a bi fold aluminum ramp. On the left side i attached a piece of siding from a house,the textured type.I used a screw gun.Works really well.That way you can walk up on one side.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member

^I don't know about anyone else. BUt I can't picture what you built in my head. Textured siding? That could be very very many types of siding.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default dizzy

Originally Posted by lcpl0331
i have a sierra and can walk right up into the bed...
I like Sierra Nevada, but I usually wait until I am done needing my balance and coordination.

Quick Reply: Hauling the KLX in a pickup