Hatfield McCoy - Helmet Cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Hatfield McCoy - Helmet Cam

Here's a portion of the helmet cam footage from our Hatfield McCoy trip last week. I'll have more to follow, but this is what I've finished so far. We did this run on Day 3. I'll try and get Days 1 & 2 edited soon. The trails at Hatfield are pretty nice, I especially liked the single track. We were able to run all of it this trip. The first 8 minutes is getting to 199 by way of green 12, green 24, black 35, and single track 151. The rest is single track 199.

From the video description on Vimeo:

This is helmet cam footage of a portion of our Hatfield McCoy ride September 2009. On this ride, we took the community connector to green trail 12, to green 24, to black 35, to get to single track trail 151. Trail 151 comes out at the trail head for single track trail 199 - the hardest trail in the trail system, though I thought one portion of single track trail 176 has it beat in terms of sheer exertion difficulty. We then took 199 from the bottom to the top which intersects there with black trail 93. At the top of 199, construction is taking place, burying a pipeline of some type. Based on what I remember from last year, a short portion of trail 199 was cut away to accommodate the pipeline. At the top of 199, we turned around and went back down to take single track trail 197 which goes off to the right near the bottom of 199. In doing so, and counting the days prior, we did every single track trail in the Rockhouse.

http://www.vimeo.com/6765570

Old 09-26-2009, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Bro, That was very cool. Love those Helmet cams.
Had me on the end of my seat a bunch of times.
Really cool you and your buddy ride close to each other to help and safety reasons.
min's 8 tho 10 looked crazy. min. 15 1/2 that was a big azz hill.
the Vid froze 18mins into it. Have to try again later.
Dude, Thank you again for sharing that was Great!

Old 09-26-2009, 08:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Bout flippin time you posted this I been waiting

Old 09-26-2009, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Wanna sell those flex bars you took off?

Old 09-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lcpl0331
Wanna sell those flex bars you took off?
I may eventually, but I'm going to hang onto them for now. I've cut them down to 29" though, I find that perfect for me, but some folks find that a little narrow.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 95451
Bro, That was very cool. Love those Helmet cams.
Had me on the end of my seat a bunch of times.
Really cool you and your buddy ride close to each other to help and safety reasons.
min's 8 tho 10 looked crazy. min. 15 1/2 that was a big azz hill.
the Vid froze 18mins into it. Have to try again later.
Dude, Thank you again for sharing that was Great!
Thanks man. Yeah, 8-10 is the beginning of 199 which I think is pretty unique and cool. The first time doing that catwalk was just surreal. And near the tree where we had to get off to navigate, can you tell it's a little steep on the downhill side, there? And 15 and 1/2, that is where I thought it was the toughest part. From being there, I could see one possibility for a good line just beyond and to the left of the tree, to the left of that little crevice. But it would be hard to do it. Maybe I'll be able to do that one next year, after another year of experience.

Glad you liked it, be sure and finish out the last 6 minutes or so. The good stuff goes all the way to the end.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lcpl0331
Bout flippin time you posted this I been waiting
I've been slaving over it for a couple evenings. My wife is getting ticked - "first you go away for a 4 day weekend, and then when you get back, all you've been doing is watching the video of it." lol What she doesn't know is I've still got the bulk of the video to go through. Almost makes me not want to take the helmet cam on the next trip because it's so much work editing afterwards. But when it's finished, it's nice to be able to sit down and watch the clipped and edited version again without having to wade through hours of footage - ah the memories.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Just funnin' with ya. Yeah those bars would be too narrow plus I got a front end push on the wr that I'm battling and that would just add another variable that would I'd have to deal with.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Front end push - mine used to do that. You've probably checked this stuff, but here are a few ideas. Double check the bike's rear sag - this fixed it for me. If the spring is too soft or preload not right causing it to ride too low, the front will push. Getting the sag dialed in fixed it for me. If that's not the problem, try raising the forks up in the triple clamps, making it steer quicker.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I got white knuckles just watching!!

Thanks for the vid. Great riding!

Quick Reply: Hatfield McCoy - Helmet Cam