Has anyone gone back to stock exhaust after aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default Has anyone gone back to stock exhaust after aftermarket?

Well after many thousands of miles through the big gun, im kinda thinking about putting the stock exhaust back on just cause its quieter... Has anyone done this? The only reason i havent yet, is the power gain over stock, and one of the stupid exhaust flange studs are bent and i have to get a new one before i can even swap pipes... Anyone interesed in a well broken in Big Gun exhaust? lol..... thaughts? With my riding buddies, we keep seeming to end up in places we are not supposed to be in... and if it was quiet noone would hear me... but the BG with quiet insert isnt so quiet....

Old 11-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ok.... i just got an idea..... You cant use the vortex insert with the quiet core right??? and the only reason you cant is that the insert would hit the baffles... What if i cut off the insert so it doesnt hit the baffles? So i could run the quiet core and vortex insert ? I think we have a winner.... im gonna do it... and we will see how loud it is then..... Im a very "out side the box" thinker......

Old 11-03-2008, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey eric,,, If ya do shoot me a pm with a price lol

Old 11-04-2008, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

You could always hybrid something. Even get an old stock exhaust and cut out the baffle in it with a bandsaw and somehow attatch it to the inside of your big gun. Thats just TOTALLY out there though. I have no clue how a big gun is put together so that may not work.
________
Chevrolet 90-degree v6 engine specifications

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:57 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

dude, just buy a 300R muffler and make it fit the biggun header. I'm sure you could do that.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:40 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I had a Big Gun quiet core on a KLR250 once. I did exactly what you are thinking: cut the vortex insert down about an inch and used it with the quiet core. I just did it to see what it would sound like. It will work just fine, but you will lose power as you are significantly cutting down the flow. This combo is actually about as quiet as stock, but still flowed a little better. Definitely stealthy!

Old 11-04-2008, 11:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Eric:
I'm with ya on the really loud exhausts, but the stock set-up is just way too restrictive.
I'm running the FMF Head Pipe and HMF can. I did a mod to quite core insert a while back that worked really well.

What I did is welded a plug at the inlet end of the quiet core, then calculated a diameter ( matching the outlet area) to drill approx 40 holes around the core. This stops the hard "rap" exhaust note, but but does not restrict the flow. Very nice mellow exhaust note.

My bike is up at the cottage so I'll have to wait till next week to take a photo or two if you'd like that.

DJF

Last edited by DJFields; 11-04-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

dude, just buy a 300R muffler and make it fit the biggun header. I'm sure you could do that.
na, i dont like the sound of that one....

Thats great mustang, kinda reassured me... cool

dj, if the quiet core and vortex insert isnt quiet enough, ill think about that.

Thanks guys.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey, I'm thinking of refitting the stock exhaust on my KLX330S project bike. I did not try the stock exhaust after fitting the cylinder, but instead sourced a KLX300 header and muffler off craigslist and eBay. The muffler came without baffle (nertz!), so I made one. Even so it's louder than I like.

One thing I really liked about the stock exhaust was being able to clearly hear the intake roar when the airbox cover is off. Also, I have the stock cams and my riding style is to grunt the 330. When going at a fast clip off road, I can stay with very fast riders and never rev over 6,000 rpm. The stock exhaust may provide adequate flow at that volume, so I can retain low-to-mid power and have my quiet and pleasing intake roar too.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Well i cut the vortex insert down a good bit and put it in the muffler with the quiet core, and its alot more quiet. Havent had a chance to take it out yet but i think im liking it. I was busy working on the cb750

Quick Reply: Has anyone gone back to stock exhaust after aftermarket?