Hard/no start, possible fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:42 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Hard/no start, possible fix

I know deej has posted his method on the hard/no start problem, which is basicly just run the carb dry before you shut it off. I belive it is working good for those that are doing it. Another method I was told, which seems to work good for me when I don't run the carb dry(which is most of the time) is to lay the bike on its side then pick it right back up. I don't even let the bars touch the ground when doing it. It then fires right up, no need to drain the float bowl. I belive the problem is that the float needle is sticking and this breaks it free. Give it a try sometime and post up your results from it. It seems to work on my bike and am interested if it does the same on others. It is alsoa lot easier and quicker than having to drain the carb from the float bowl.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Hard/no start, possible fix

I'll try it but I usually turn my gas off heading up my 500ft driveway and cruise the field for a minute and just let it idle itself out while I open the garage and put my gear away.I'll try almost anything once

Old 10-11-2007, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Are many of you having problems lighting off your bike?

Mine starts with ease every time.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

When I tried that gas was spilling out the overflow and then when I tried starting it, on the 5th or 6th revolution it let out a hellacious backfire. Scared me pretty good, it was quite loud in the garage. I rolled it out before continuing to crank on it.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

zx1000f1 the problem seems to only exist when the bike sits for a period of time without being started. I have never had gas spill out or backfire when doing this. I lay it on the kickstand side, just like your putting the oil filter in if it makes a difference.It also doesn't stay down for very long. Only the amount of time it takes to get it on its side and stand it back up.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Stabil brand gas perservative...my dad puts it in his 72 Norton Commando Combat (the high compression version) 750 (hopefully mine some day) and all his classic cars....they can sit for months and fire right up. I run it in my lawnmower as gas will start to de-stabalize in as little as a week(that comes from my refinery buddy and the local lawnmower shop said the same thing).

Old 10-11-2007, 02:52 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Actually tipping the bike over really does work, but it has nothing to do with a float needle sticking. What happens when you tip the bike over is it causes the carb to spill gas out through the overflow tube, which in turn allows new fresh gas in which is the same thing as running the bowl dry and then turning the gas on allowing new gas to enter. Its actually an old mx trick. Both the same result, just one dumps gas onto the concrete and the other one is done ahead of time. On a related note, if you ride your bike everyday or even every other day, the gas in the bowl has not had time to change it igniting properties and thus fires up everytime. But I can almsot guarantee that if you let your bike sit for a week or more and try to start it after leaving the gas on and not draining the bowl, you'll wear the battery down before it starts.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:53 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1
Are many of you having problems lighting off your bike?
Never,......unless I leanher against a tree with the ignition on during a water break.........but that's why I put on a kickstart....two kicks max so far.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Since I put on my TM-33 I have no problems starting

Old 10-11-2007, 09:28 AM
1st Gear Member

How areyou liking that carb so far?.....AND, why don't you have a ***** name yet???
ORIGINAL: MaverickAus

Since I put on my TM-33 I have no problems starting

Quick Reply: Hard/no start, possible fix