Happy Holidays

Old 12-21-2018, 12:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Happy Holidays

Happy holidays. May you always keep the rubber side down.

For those of you who get to ride this time of year, the rest of us are jealous, but still wish you the best.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Merry Christmas to everyone! (If we can still say that
I too am jealous of those that can still ride. My KLX winter maintenance is already done but no riding for many months!

Old 12-22-2018, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Member

bearing greased in the back just have to wait for spring to get the shifter input replaced. oh and i ordered a kx450f rear brake cylinder to replace the stock one

Old 12-22-2018, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't hate me but I just got back from a nice ride. It is about 70 degrees in the shade, warmer in the sun here in southern Arizona.
Merry Christmas to all of you as well.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!

I get to relax and wait for our December thaw to end and the ice to refreeze.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:17 AM
1st Gear Member

It's been a tough year in a variety of directions, including spending a large part of my summer rebuilding a leaky sun room into a large working pantry keeping me from going off and doing some fun riding. I only got a couple hundred miles playing this year. It's boring here in the flat lands so no quick fun jaunts. I also missed doing any of our traditional fall foliage tours in the east, riding down back roads carpeted and canopied with red, orange, and yellow leaves. Will try again in the new year...

Those of you who can ride year around go do some fun riding for me.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Merry Christmas to all.

I find it kinda funny Mark as you are always saying how flat/boring in Ohio. I am by Pittsburgh not that far from you and I know a lot of guys here who look forward to riding Ohio as the rocks here are so tiring. I have not been on a ride there yet, but hear you can ride all day and feel the same as 1 1/2 hrs riding here.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll throw in a Merry Christmas from Lower Alabama!

Wanna take a break from flat and boring?... Come on down and get some sugar sand, flat and boring.... and remember, if you are going uphill, it is because you are riding out of a gully. At least we get to ride it almost year round! *grin

You guys have been a great source of information over the last couple years.. I thank each and every one of you for your contributions!

Old 12-24-2018, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by InspectorJim
Merry Christmas to all.

I find it kinda funny Mark as you are always saying how flat/boring in Ohio. I am by Pittsburgh not that far from you and I know a lot of guys here who look forward to riding Ohio as the rocks here are so tiring. I have not been on a ride there yet, but hear you can ride all day and feel the same as 1 1/2 hrs riding here.
A little geography lessons here - the Great Glacier swept down into Ohio, pushing the surface up in front and flattening it underneath. If you stuck a compass pointer in the north west corner and the pencil end at Cleveland and swept it down across the state everything inside the arc is mostly flat, outside the arc are the hill country up against the mountains of Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Kentucky. I have to go around 50 miles east, south east, or south to actually encounter any good roads with honest to gawd turns. Here, people are braking for stuff we'd rail at 60 in a car or truck over in the east. To quote from a google search::
What part of Ohio has never been covered with glaciers?
Ohio's Terrain. The part of Ohio that was covered by glaciers includes about two-thirds of the northern and western parts of the state. Most of southeastern Ohio was not covered by glaciers.

I used to live in Tuscarawas Countyjust west and south of the number 1, riding that little bit west and a lot south and east, but seldom getting much south of I-70. I now live in Delaware County just below the N in Wisconsinian. From the unglaciated to the totally flattened. Really sucks for riding unless you're into cruisers and tourers. Going from what one person observed as "God's country" to the eastern part of the Great Plains really was the worst part of moving here.

You have to look at the map of Ohio roads. You will notice in the east where I used to live has the foothills of the Appalachians, lots of winding secondary highways and back roads to play on and some places off road, like part of the Wayne National Forrest and AEP recreational area. I moved to Columbus for work. Flat straight roads, much of them forming a grid. The only corners are along some of the river and creek side roads.

I'd love to go east maybe next summer or there after when school is out. Pittsburgh is about 4-1/2 hours away. I know you have good stuff over there, I used to teach at Wellsville HS on the river just off route 7 and a year over in Wellsburg at Brook HS in WV. I think a motorcyclist came up with West Virginia's motto, the area is Almost Heaven. We here in the east may not have the craggy awesome scenery of the Rockies, but I guarantee you the volume of roads in the Appalacians and foothills are incredible. Many tracing the routes used by settlers going west and farmers herding stock. Awesome riding.

I may look a few of you up this summer or the next.

Last edited by klx678; 12-24-2018 at 10:21 PM.