Handlebars and Forks

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Handlebars and Forks

I really hate how the klx makes you use 7/8" bars. I was out riding with some friends today after getting my bike from the tune shop, and they were all running fat bars (1 or 1-1/8") I like the way they looked on the bike, and it didn't have that stupid crossbar in the middle. Granted they were DR-Z, but that's irrelevant. Has anybody found a way to be able to mount bigger bars? I've thought about swapping the whole front end since my forks are leaking now anyway (wheelies, right?) but I'm not sure what all would fit, or if there was a special piece that could be used to get bigger bars in there. Would replacing the top triple tree be worth it? Maybe buy a spare one, cut/grind off the handlebar mount, and drill holes for risers and such?

Yes, consistent hard takeoff/landing wheelies have caused damage to my forks, especially the left one which has quite the leak on it now. I'm gonna borrow a seal-mate from a friend tomorrow or Thursday to help stop the leak, but it'll leak again, I guarantee it. Has anybody replaced the forks with something less spongy, or did you just rebuild them with better parts? I will say that the front suspension has always been terribly squishy, it hasn't just started happening. When I say squishy, I mean I can be stopped on the bike, holding the front brake and push down on the bars making the front end dip a solid 6 inches without much effort. I understand being soft for offroading and trails, but this is a factory motard, I thought it would have more resistance.

If you've rebuilt forks, what company did you use to get parts?

Old 03-01-2017, 04:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Pro Taper makes a mount that should allow you to use fat bars I think.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:28 AM
1st Gear Member

This won't get you the use of thicker bars, but will give you much better front handling:
HOW TO INSTALL KX-250 FORKS ON THE KLX-300

Have you matched your fork springs for your riding weight?

Ride on
Brewster

Old 03-01-2017, 05:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Is it the Universal Rubber handlebar mounts? How would those mount to the triple though?

Old 03-01-2017, 05:19 AM
1st Gear Member

No Brewster, I haven't done anything with the suspension except use it. I'm about 160-170lbs, so the stock springs should be close to ideal for my weight.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:41 AM
1st Gear Member

"universal solid handlebar mounts....Adapts solid-mounted triple clamp bar mounts from 7/8" to 1-1/8" and adds a 3/4" rise."

they have a 7/8' half round that goes into the dip. you bolt that down with one set of bolts where your bars would have gone, then put fat bars on and bolt down the second part.......

Attached Thumbnails Handlebars and Forks-universal-solid-handlebar-mounts-black.jpg.ashx.jpeg  

Last edited by xcrcarpenter; 03-01-2017 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:15 PM
1st Gear Member

FYI, all DRZ's are 7/8" bars as well, so your friend's must have adaptors too, or changed the top triple tree. Fat bars, Twin Wall, (all fat bars) etc, are 1 1/8" at the clamp. Just about everyone makes adaptors, Renthal, ProTaper, MSR, Moose, Tusk, IMS, etc, etc. Just get the cheapest ones, as they are all made from billet aluminum. These adaptors are the ones I have, best price around.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262096343910

Or do an ebay or Amazon search for Handlebar Clamp or Handlebar Adaptors if you want something else. You may want a different height if your new bars are to low.....

Last edited by Werloc; 03-01-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member

One nice thing about 7/8. Easy to find a set in a bind and lower cost no matter what.

Besides, I use the cross bar pad wrap to hold my registration and insurance card inside in a baggie.

But hey, that's just me.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree. I "Have" those but currently not using them. Went back to 7/8 after my buddy bent mine. I have a few sets of 7/8 bars lying around and figured why spend the money. But you know how it is when all your friends have something you don't. Plus he's willing to change out the whole front end for them. Sounds like he really wants them. I went that route for extra strength, but turns out quality 7/8 bars are just as strong....

Old 03-01-2017, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks xcrcarpenter, I was looking at the other ones they have. Whoops.

I didn't think DRZs had solid mounts that were part of the triple? I thought they were removable bolt ins like the risers. Don't know, haven't owned one and never looked that closely.

Yeah klx678, I've got some other 7/8 in the garage somewhere, but they look more like bicycle handlebars, tall rise and I don't like it. Threw my stock bars away when I got the renthals, but these actually belong to a Honda atv of some sort. Where they're positioned so it's comfortable for me to ride, the middle piece blocks the lower half of the display.

Werloc you wanna make some money? lol If you're not gonna be using those adapters and big bars, let me know if you wanna get rid of them

Quick Reply: Handlebars and Forks