handlebars & brush guards

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 03:32 PM
1st Gear Member
Default handlebars & brush guards

Would you guys who've already changed out your stock handlebars mind answering a few quesions?

1) How do I go about getting the throttle assembly off the stock handlebar? I've never done this before...
2) Can I reuse my stock grips, or do I have to cut them to get them off the old bar?
3) Does anyone out there know what the dimensions on the stock handlebar are? (The stock one fits me just fine and I'd like to order an aftermarket bar with similar dimensions. The only reason I want to change is so I can mount my Moose Racing brush guards.)

I appreciate any advice you guys can give me on changing out handlebars and mounting brush guards!

Bryan

Old 02-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Default RE: handlebars & brush guards

ORIGINAL: NavKLX

Would you guys who've already changed out your stock handlebars mind answering a few quesions?

1) How do I go about getting the throttle assembly off the stock handlebar? I've never done this before...
2) Can I reuse my stock grips, or do I have to cut them to get them off the old bar?
3) Does anyone out there know what the dimensions on the stock handlebar are? (The stock one fits me just fine and I'd like to order an aftermarket bar with similar dimensions. The only reason I want to change is so I can mount my Moose Racing brush guards.)

I appreciate any advice you guys can give me on changing out handlebars and mounting brush guards!

Bryan

1) Yes you have to cut off the grips and you will see the end piece on the throttle and that will be self explanitory
2) almost all aftermarket performance bars are 7/8ths
3) Im changing mine because the stock ones are weak and bend easy so I ordered pro tapers(CR version) you can also hack them down as
far as you need for your arm length.
4) when you put the throttle back on make sure you grease underneath the throttle tube.
5) Use a good grip glue on the grips and safety wire the throttle grip and dont touch for 24 hours

Im sorry that my thoughts are all jumbled but thats the best I can do; I think I have A.D.D.!

Old 02-05-2006, 11:07 PM

You should be able to get the grips off without cutting them off, especially since you are going to be installing handguards. Cut the end of the grip off, since you will need to do this to install handguards, and carefully insert a thin screwdriveer between the grip and the bar. Spray a little simple green or spray 9 in the opening you've created to lube it and gradually work the screwdriver in a little further in and then work it around the grip to loosen it a bit. Use lots of lube. Use a little spray contact cement inside the grip to reinstall. It sounds pretty involved but really it's a couple minute job. Do the non throttle side first, and be careful with the throttle side so you don't break the plastic.
And I must say I do not agree with greasing the throttle. Especially with handguards it will attract dirt like crazy. Just make sure the bar and the throttle tube are clean and smooth and it should work great.

Old 02-05-2006, 11:30 PM

Oh my bad I was thinking more motocross oriented bar changes!

Old 02-06-2006, 11:52 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NavKLX

Bryan
I haven't changed my bars and I don't know what Moose Racing brush guards are but I fitted BarkBusters today to my bike and
1) you don't need to remove the grips, you just cut the holes in the end for the bolt to go through.
2) the bars are 22mm
3) you don't need to change the bars for BarkBusters
4) you do however have to remove the bar weights or whatever they are in the end of the bars (shown in my pix)

[IMG]local://upfiles/1192/F48E2CED7232465287E91339D624695C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-06-2006, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate your help.

Here are two problems I've run into with mounting brush guards on my bike:

1) The inboard mounting brackets (on both the left and right hand guards) wind up being right where the handlebar cross member welds to the main handlebar tube. There's no way I can see to get around this problem without buying a new handlebar. Any ideas???

2) The right hand brush guard interferes with the front brake reservoir assembly and line. All I can see to do is pivot the brake (or guard) up or down to avoid the interference. BUt that leaves my brake assembly exposed. Not so good I think. Any ideas???

Old 02-06-2006, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Those were exactly the two problems I encountered with my Cycra Pro Bend brush guards. Solutions:

1) Replace the dangerous OEM bars (the break EASY) with a good quality aftermarket bar. I went with Renthal (Yamaha Raptor 80 bend) which is identical to stock except 2" more rise.

2) I inserted a 3/8" aluminum spacer between the bark buster and the inside mount to move it away from the brake line.

Old 02-07-2006, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the valuable information Todd. I feel relieved knowing I'm not the only one who encountered these problems. I appreciate your help. I'll have to rig up a spacer too.

Bryan

Old 02-07-2006, 05:53 PM
1st Gear Member

The spacers I used where just round aluminum stock with a hole through the center large enough for the bolt.

FWIW, I also tried the inner brackets Cycra sells that mount to the upper tripple clamp in place of the handlebars. These are great but would not work with the 2" rise handlebars. On OEM size bars, that would be the way to go.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Todd, how long are your spacers? Did you put one on both sides?

Quick Reply: handlebars & brush guards