Handle Bar Vibe Cure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 11:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Handle Bar Vibe Cure?

Is that Nurofen stuff available OTC? What about regular Advil liqui-gels with 200mg ibuprofen?

Old 06-07-2006, 11:31 PM

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

Is that Nurofen stuff available OTC? What about regular Advil liqui-gels with 200mg ibuprofen?
After doing a quick search, seems that Nurofen is might not be available here in the US.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:34 AM

Bryan-I was looking for handlebar/grip info and came across this post of yours. I've had the same problem with motorcycles and bicycles (raced bicycles 5 years) as well as chainsaws, weedwackers, etc. There are ways to treat carpal tunnel non-surgically and successfully. I have a massage therapist who works with me in my clinic, and we work on each other as well. If we don't, we get CTS as both our jobs are hard on the hands. Sometimes a good chiropractor can help some, but best if also with massage therapy to the forearm/hand flexor muscles. That's the muscles that you use to make a fist as well as to bend your hand upward at the wrist when you're doing curls or holding your hand palm-up. I thought I'd offer up that info since you have a problem. You should be able to find one of each locally to you. Ask 'em if they know how to do muscle stripping massage for CTS. Heck, I'll even explain it to them on the phone if it helps. Surgery works, but leaves the wrist weaker as the ligament/fascia that crosses over the bones is severed during the surgery. I only recommend it in really bad cases which don't respond to manual therapies. Also, you can fill your (aluminum) handlebar with clear silicone, using a good calking gun. Open up both ends, put a couple of O-rings around the nozzle on the calk cartridge so it seals a bit inside the bar-end, then fill that sucker up. Let it sit a couple days to cure before putting grips back on. Works best if you use the real good 50-year clear silicone. It's still only a few bucks a tube. The gel dampens high-frequency vibes. Specialized Bikes now makes frames and forks, and seatposts that have gel inserts to dampen vibes on their bicycles, for the same reason (nerve damage). Except, when it's a bicycle seat, the vibes make your male parts go numb [] which is oh-so-not-good!!
hope that helps

doc

Old 07-23-2006, 07:49 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

That's good info, neurodoc4u - thanks! I too can feel some symptoms coming on, especially in my right arm. After recognizing what it was I was able to work around it for the most part. That's a good tip regarding the silicone in the handlebars. Makes sense to me; I may give that a try as well.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

My solution to bar vibes

Old 07-24-2006, 02:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm using the 714's and they helped immensely on the road and I can ride without being bothered too much. Today I did a pretty good amount of offroad riding and I had to coast a few times and work my right hand a bit as I was still getting some numbness but if I kept it around or above 5K its pretty smooth but lugging it down low is where I seem to get bothered the most.