Handguard question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Bark Buster Ego's with triple clamp kit, doubt you will break them

Name:  P1010069.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  71.5 KB

Last edited by MaverickAus; 07-17-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Cycra Pro Bend handguards. . . very tough. I ride 95% off-road, crash at least 3 or 4 times on every ride and the Cycra's will take it. Very tough grade of aluminum.

For those who crash a lot, stay away from IMS PowerMadd handguards. They don't have a continuous length of aluminum bar and will self-destruct after a few crashes! Your mileage may vary. . . . . .

Old 07-17-2009, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Acerbis does give good protection but as stated anything made out of "al" is going to give, it’s the nature of the metal. The secret is finding something that bends just enough not to cause additional damage, imagine if you used high carbon steel, probably snap off and smash your hand in a bad crash but would work great for a 5 mph fall. If your bike is too large you might consider one of the lowering links for suspension and adjusting forks up in the tripple clamp... just a thought.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

ive dead dropped my machine on solid rock with my acerbis... couple bangs with a handy rock i find on the ground and their good to go.. if you drop your machine hard and square on the guards, regardless of brand name they are gonna bend. i cant even begin to imagine how much money my set have saved me over the time i have had this bike!!

Old 07-18-2009, 09:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
Bark Buster Ego's with triple clamp kit, doubt you will break them
+1 The triple clamp kit works very well.

-Justin

Old 07-18-2009, 10:46 AM
1st Gear Member

What's the advantage of triple clamp mounting versus clamping to the bars?
In 20 years I haven't had a problem with the bar mounts.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:05 PM
1st Gear Member

For one thing you do not need different mount kits for the different types/size handle bars and I think the clearance is a little better.

And I don’t get scratches in my pretty gold bars from the mounting rings

-Justin

Old 07-18-2009, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Neil I found the triple clamp mounting kit (TMCK) makes them a lot more solid, also if you mount them with the stock bars they are a lot easier to mount using the TCMK

Old 07-18-2009, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsac
ive dead dropped my machine on solid rock with my acerbis... couple bangs with a handy rock i find on the ground and their good to go.. if you drop your machine hard and square on the guards, regardless of brand name they are gonna bend. i cant even begin to imagine how much money my set have saved me over the time i have had this bike!!
Actually some arsehole pushed my bike over onto concrete and the only damage was a couple of scratches on the plastic, the aluminium bar and mounts did not move or bend. That was with the BarkBuster Ego's fitted

Old 07-22-2009, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
Okay, maybe Sid doesn't quite get it. I drop my bike every time I take it out. If I bought new handguards every time I would be beyond broke. I am kind of short, so can barely reach my tiptoes to the ground when it is flat. When I get hung up on a rock and there is nowhere to get a foot down, I just jump clear of the bike to avoid injury. I ride by myself most of the time so saving myself takes priority.
haha I have the same problem Im only 5'5 and If im not having a get off then im not riding lol... I still yet have to install some hand gaurds I will one day,,

Quick Reply: Handguard question