Hand guards

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Default Hand guards

just got a set of UFO guards and they are not even close to fitting, junk if you ask me.

I want hand guards can I buy that will fit with out having to cut or bend anything?
I mean ones that are made for a 09 KLX 250S.

Thanks.

Last edited by KLXPerry; 01-07-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member

The Powermadd handguards seem to fit well without moving too many things around. I just dumped my bike in a culdesac 20 minutes ago and have to replace my Powermadds. Funny that you made this thread. :P and damn new, slippery tires. Time to straighten out the forks. :|

Old 01-07-2010, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I had no problems with the barkbusters but that was on an aftermarket Renthal Bar. I checked out the gf's sf and it looks like they would go on it just fine. Bonus is you only have to replace the plastics when you thrash them. The Aluminium bar is seperate.
cheers Jim

Old 01-07-2010, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member

They are all pretty much universal, so that means they don't fit anything perfect. Do whatever you need to to get them on there, because if you are the type that needs full wrap handgaurds your bike won't be pretty very long anyway. Hell, I have to take my handguards off and beat them back into shape with rocks on the trail periodically.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maninthesea
I had no problems with the barkbusters but that was on an aftermarket Renthal Bar. I checked out the gf's sf and it looks like they would go on it just fine. Bonus is you only have to replace the plastics when you thrash them. The Aluminium bar is seperate.
cheers Jim
Hi Jim,

Could you please post some pictures of how your barkbusters are mounted to your bars and more importantly how you routed your brake line around the left hand side mount/support.

I received my barkbuster ego's today and spent an 10 minutes fitting the right hand side (brake lever) and an hour trying to get the other side to fit - all because of the movement and routing of the front brake line.

Im using the standard bar clamps but thinking ill go and swap them for a set of triple clamp mounts and be done with it tomorrow.

Big thanks in advance.

Cheers
Paul

Edit - Just found this by Tmoe - worth a shot over the TCM mounts - can anyone see a problem with rerouting the brake line?

Name:  IM000192.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  113.0 KB

Last edited by barbz; 01-08-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I had to fiddle with the placement of the brake line. I ended up bending the ring/guide to get it to work. I also had to move the controls around a little to get the fit i wanted.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I used Moose Racing Contour hand guards that went on without a problem. These were put on Renthal bars to get around the problem with the plugs in the stock bars.
I did have to re-route the brake line because where it bends going down to the wheel was right under the bar clamp and would have hit the bar clamp when the suspension is compressed.
I made a simple L bracket to move the top hose guide forward enough for the hose to clear the clamp. Now the bar clamp does not interfer with the hose as it slids in the guide.
Oh, and I had to cut off the ball end of both levers to clear the inside of the guards. (I'm thinking this is common because of the size of the levers)

This may sound like a bit of work, but it wasen't too bad.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Forgot one other thing. I used a 1/2 inch spacer on the lower hose guide so that the top and bottom guides line up.
By moving the top and bottom guides forward I had to move the hose to the front of the left turn signal. The top bend of the brake hose now sits on the outside of the plastic number plate.
The front hose is just long enough for this to work and it is now more along the line of MX bikes that have the front brake hose routed further forward away from the forks and bars.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Klxperry - I just fitted a set of barkbuster ego's to a set of renthal bars - I just flipped the top brake mount like tmoe and it all went on without a hassle.

However I did trim down the ***** on both levers to clear the guards.

Cheers
Paul
________
TiTiCa

Last edited by barbz; 05-02-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default updated pics

Since pics of my bike are being used as an example, I thought I would post up some recent pics. After bangin around in the woods, I had to change some things....
Name:  klxbrakeline1.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  73.7 KB
Name:  klxbrakeline.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  47.0 KB
Name:  klxbrakelinetopview.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  49.0 KB
You can see that the top guide ring is now completely gone.
This spring I'm going to get a stainless steel line from Bill Blue, so it'll change again!

Quick Reply: Hand guards