Guide on adjusting the sag/preload of the rear shock?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:11 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Guide on adjusting the sag/preload of the rear shock?

My suspension is all of out whack and frankly I really don't know anything about suspensions. Right now with the 351, the bike will shift back and the spring will absorb the torque of the 351(if that makes any sense). Same goes for the front of the bike. When I front brake harder than normal, the forks will compress further than what I think that they should.

When I sit on the bike, it sags down way too far. I'm an average sized guy (6' 180lbs). As far as I know, the bike has the stock suspension tuning for both the front and rear. I figured that being in the average bracket for weight, there has got to be some adjustments that I can make with the stock suspension to increase the stiffness of the front and also not have the back shock sag when I sit on the bike (a little sag is okay, but we are talking about a good 6-8" drop).

I tried searching and there isn't really anything that suggests what I want can be done without aftermarket upgrades to the suspension. If anyone has any advice, I would love to hear it.

Thanks

Old 03-29-2012, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Scroll down and read "what is race sag" should give you a base. The adjustibilty of the stock suspension blows. Good luck.

FAQ

Old 03-29-2012, 12:33 AM
1st Gear Member

There is a good how to but I can't find it right now. Surely someone will point you to this.

Just a note, the front is going to be soft for real thrashing and would need work. We are the same dimension more or less and maybe I will face this but I am going to be a casual rider.

Here is the mods but again this is not the setup which I will find.

Moto-Pro Forks

Old 03-29-2012, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member

@ 180# you need stiffer springs front and rear. The bike comes sprung for much lighter riders.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:53 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
@ 180# you need stiffer springs front and rear. The bike comes sprung for much lighter riders.
I'd imagine that rear springs are pretty universal across dirt bikes? reason I ask is because I looked at a few sites (RMATV, MotoSport, Motorcycle-Supersport) and didn't see anything listed for the KLX.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
I'd imagine that rear springs are pretty universal across dirt bikes? reason I ask is because I looked at a few sites (RMATV, MotoSport, Motorcycle-Supersport) and didn't see anything listed for the KLX.
The stock rear spring should be close for your weight. There are many shock springs that can be used on the KLX shock. The spring diameter must be the same, but the length can vary, thanks to the adjuster.
GET HEAVIER FORK SPRINGS! I'm a scrawny 155 lbs and the stockers were too soft for me. It will be much harder to find used fork springs that will fit.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 03-29-2012, 04:16 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I would say hit up race tech, but not sure anymore since a fellow member has had customer service issues with them. The basics of setting sags is everywhere on the .net. I use the two guy technique. One to measure while you load and unload the suspension.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok here is the link I was looking for. It should be a sticky. It was in a post last week.

KLX TECH TIPS -- SUSPENSION ADJUSTMENTS

Old 03-29-2012, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member

The front is set rediculously soft from the factory! Dives like crazy!!!

Turn the front adjusters in all the way, then back them out 4 clicks.

Go for a ride, and let us know what you think.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
The front is set rediculously soft from the factory! Dives like crazy!!!

Turn the front adjusters in all the way, then back them out 4 clicks.

Go for a ride, and let us know what you think.
Is 8 clicks the standard?

Quick Reply: Guide on adjusting the sag/preload of the rear shock?