Grunge Brush

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 10:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Grunge Brush

I see this item being sold for cleaning the drive chain. Anyone use one? Or would I be better off using an old tooth brush.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Grunge Brush

I got one over the Winter, but haven't used it yet (since I haven't used my bike over the Winter).

It seems like a decent brush and is easier to get at the backside of the chain, so I think its worth it. Be careful, though, because I got it for around $8-$9, but I've seen it advertised for almost $30 ... which is a rip-off.

If you always remove your chain to clean it, then it may not be worthwhile, though.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Most of the ones I've seen are light weight, made for bicycles.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:13 AM

I just use Simple green and a pressure washer, dry then lube, let set then wipe excess lube off chain. Used to use a tooth brush with Mnt bikes and even for a chain that size it was a lot of work.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:27 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I use a product called purple cleaner from Carquest on most of the bike, you have to be a little careful on aluminum parts it can cause dulling and a slight stain after a while. But really the best way to clean your chain is to pop it off the bike, (takes 15 seconds) and soak it in kerosene for a while, brush it, blow it out with a compressor, and oil it with something thathas someanti-sling properties in it and you're golden.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:30 AM
1st Gear Member

don't get the plastic grunge brush you'll break it. i have an aluminum one andit works fine. the side brushes get mashed down pretty quick but i use mine on all my bikes both dirt and street.. mine cost me $15 about3 years ago and i use it a lot.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's my brush, cost me $2.10 plus tax at Home Depot.

I raided the clearance bin for 3 nylon bristle brushes, cut 2 handles off, and bolted them together with a scrap piece of aluminum. I had to pull out a few rows of bristles on the side as you can see. Works great with lemon scented Simple Green, although I'm thinking a shot of Kero would do it some good too as the chain is pretty stiff right now, SG isn't a super great degreaser, it works but I don't think it works to the extent that the Kero will.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:14 PM

Is there any concern that kerosene will strip out the lube between the o-rings? I was under the impression that o-ring chains contained grease around the rollers that was permanently locked in between the o-rings. The obvious exception to this is the master link itself, but I thought all others had some lubricant that I wouldn't want to mess up.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah don't use kerosene. wd40 and a brush makes the chain look almost new. after i use the brush i use an old rag to really wipe down the chain then i lube it up with a good chain lube. most of the wd40 drips off so have something underneath the bike otherwise you make a real messon the floor. actually i use wd40 to clean a lot of the bike.

Old 03-18-2007, 05:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I've read that WD40 can get past the O-rings and dissolve the lubrication inside,and kerosene is therecommended way to go. Find a sprayer and you can use it the same was as spraying on WD40.

Quick Reply: Grunge Brush