GROUP BUY OPPORTUNITY - Solid Black Number Plate Decals

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 04:06 PM
Default GROUP BUY OPPORTUNITY - Solid Black Number Plate Decals

Is anyone interested in doing a group buy from XGX Graphics for solid black decals for the side number plates? I just spoke with a guy at XGX and they will do 15% off of the normal $40 if we get 10 people that are interested.

Just to clarify, the decal will not cover 100% of the side panel. It will leave a border of white around the edge. Check out the pics of vfrpilot's graphics in this post. The decal will be the same shape, but solid black instead of with the colorful picture.

I am not 100% sure myself that I want to use this approach over painting the panel, but if enough people are interested, it might be worth pulling a group together.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: GROUP BUY OPPORTUNITY - Solid Black Number Plate Decals

Honestly i think a black sticker with a white border would look worse than just white.. so count me out....

Old 12-13-2006, 06:40 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Man those graphics look really good.

Name:  DSC00811.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  104.4 KB

Old 12-13-2006, 06:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Seems expensive, I'd just paint them black myself.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd be inclined to say that using black Krylon Fusion and then clear coating it would be just as if not more durable than a vinly decal. And in the even that it did get scratched, just scuff it with fine sand paper and recoat it. Would look better than a wrinkled/torn decal.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:16 AM

well, that depends on the decal. I have owned a graphics company for over 20 years and if it is clear coated vinyl it will hold up better than any paint on plastic. If the decal is a cheap non-clear coated intermediate product (like most of the stuff you get on the Internet) it will not hold up and look like crap really quick.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:19 AM

The clear on the decal I am referring to is a laminate that protects the graphics form UV, and scratches and make the decal really durable.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:44 AM

i actually painted my side covers with fusion paint a while back. it was ok, but you could tell it wasnt supposed to be that way. didnt have that "deep" black look if that makes sense. so i used a little brake cleaner and got it all off and polished the white back shiney.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:21 PM

Am I the only one thinking that the Mr. Graphics Company Owner needs to make and sell some full coverage decals for our side panels? [8D]

I would think that a single black sheet with a taper on one end and a slit where the hole needs to be would leave enough trim around the edge to fold over so that no white would show. I think this would result in a nice looking side panel.

I, for one, would be first in line for a full coverage decal at a decent price. Anyone else want to pester EvildoerZX10R with a PM like I just did?

Old 12-15-2006, 08:15 AM
1st Gear Member

im sorry but i personally dont get what all the rage about these black plates is, i have seen the pics and quite frankly i dilike them. But that is just my opinion, if i did prefer teh black i would be in on it.

ps this was meant to not offend eanyone.

Quick Reply: GROUP BUY OPPORTUNITY - Solid Black Number Plate Decals